Thread: Broken Volume Pot Shaft on HR DeVille

Forum Member

Broken Volume Pot Shaft on HR DeVille

Bug the sh_t outta me !!!

I was cleaning the control plate on my DeVille. All the knobs were off and I noticed the shaft on my Volume pot was leaning like the Pizza Tower in Italy

I got some nice heavy pliers and proceeded to straighten the shaft out. With little to hardly any pressure, the piece of crap snapped flush to the base. I'm screwed now for Monday & Wednesday night gig.
    This HR is my main stage amp - HELP!!!

Where can I get the value of these pots AND from where can I get them??? I might as well get the good logrithmic pots since these stock ones are linear.
    What say you??
    James Brown say: "UGH ... HEP ME!!!"

Re: Broken Volume Pot Shaft on HR DeVille

Pop it open, the value should be on the back of the pot. You could also Google the schem. If you've got a dremel with a wheel why not just cut a little notch in the shaft, or what's left of it. Then just use a flat head to adjust value.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Pop it open, the value should be on the back of the pot. You could also Google the schem. If you've got a dremel with a wheel why not just cut a little notch in the shaft, or what's left of it. Then just use a flat head to adjust value.
    Great idea ... 'have dremel, will notch'
    However, the break line is actually below the pots' collar. It's wrecked anyway, so I'll try it!.

What do you think of changing the master volume pot to an audio one while I'm in there?

I don't know dude, I'm no amp tech. I'm sure someone else might have a better answer. If it's linear changing it to log/audio will change the sweep. On a HRDLX that might be a good thing!

Unless you live far away from an electronics retailer the correct pot /taper should be available. It likely is not a rare item.

I have not been inside a Deville but I am pretty sure it is PC board and not hand wired. So you will likely need to pull the whole control PC board, with all the pots, to put the new one in. That isn't really hard, bit it might take a bit more time if this type of repair is something new to you.

I would replace with the same value pot / taper. Just my own preference.

Forum Member

Thanks Guys ... pulling a circuit board is no big deal especially when I can't afford an authorized service center to do this repair.

I was just curious about that audio pot Master Volume thing as there's a lot about it for an HR Deluxe.
    I just figured it would be a desirable fix for the HR DeVille ( as far as volume was concerned).

Assuming you're talking about the main volume control and not the Master, if it was me I'd use an audio taper pot. If it's anything like 99% of Fender amps you'll want a 1MΩ pot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Assuming you're talking about the main volume control and not the Master, if it was me I'd use an audio taper pot. If it's anything like 99% of Fender amps you'll want a 1MΩ pot.
    Yes ... the main volume control (my bad)

Anyways, I've got the Fender part# for the original equipment replacement. Is the 1Mohm part# a Fender or aftermarket pot??? Regardless, may I have that number?
    Last edited by Vodka; 08-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.

It's the value, one megaohm. Just buy one online or at a local shop. Since you aren't having an authorized Fender repairman do it I wouldn't worry about it. Check out Angela Instrument online, I bet they'll have EXACTLY what you need.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    It's the value, one megaohm. Just buy one online or at a local shop. Since you aren't having an authorized Fender repairman do it I wouldn't worry about it. Check out Angela Instrument online, I bet they'll have EXACTLY what you need.
    OK .. I get a 1 megaohm audio taper pot. Now, what exactly will this do for the DeVille?? Will it be marginally 'tamed'?
    I normally play with Volume at 4 and Drive at 4. As you know, this is pretty loud (but distortionally pleasing with ES-335 )

Does it not mean that I get the same results except the sound I use will be there earlier on the dial?

Forum Member

Notice how DeVilles get real loud real fast? The pot just makes it get real loud a little slower, so it's easier to control at lower volume. Still gets just as loud tho.