Thread: J bass I'm building

J bass I'm building

Decided awhile back that I wanted to build myself another "kustom" bass. I bought a Black Walnut blank from a local wood supplier (you should see his inventory!) and got to work. So far i have the body cut out, edges rounded over, and some rough sanding done. I didn't want to go with the typical J pups, nothing wrong with them, I just wanted something different. I was planning on making a set of bass P90s but went with a Stingray pup. I'll also be using a Pre Ernie Ball MM preamp i built myself (Thanks CDW!). It will have a maple neck, Jaguar control plate, and a kustom guard. For the guard I'll be blending the upper portion of a Tele hybrid with the bottom portion of a Jazzmaster guard. Haven't decided on what color it will be, I am thinking that maybe I'll use clear like I've done in the past and back paint it something funky. We'll see. Next week I'll cut the neck pocket and finish up the body routes and sanding. The body will get a clear finish, the wood is WAY too beautiful to cover up with paint.

As you can see from the pics I've tried to blend different Fender appointments to make something that is both different but at the same time new. I really do think this is something Fender should do better with their "Pawn Shop" series, but I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for looking and feel free to give me some feedback!

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: J bass I'm building

Looks good so far. That's a nice piece of wood.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Wow,keep us posted on that one!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Thanx guys! I hope to finish this bass soon, as I'd love to have a Stingray type bass, especially for church.

Gonna be a cool looking bass...

Forum Member

Sweet looking so far! Keep us posted!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

So right now I'm waiting on the neck routing template. I got the bridge mounted, pup cavity routed, and the control cavity routed. Oh yeah, I drilled a hole in the side of it, gonna use an Elektro socket jack. I need to decide how I'm going to mount the battery, either in a battery box or under the guard with a clip. I made a tracing of the pickguard and am going to have one made out of the olde skool tort like they used on Kays and the like.

I'll try to get pics up, but they pretty much look like the mockups.

I like the look of walnut Fender style guitars.

Forum Member

Sweet! I dig the look of walnut finders as well. Looking forward to some updated pics!
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Chuck
    I have a pickguard that might be ok for you -
    I will have to find it (aka - dig it out)

it was a custom made Jaguar pickguard - one piece to include the controls, and a switch - with a J pup in the neck. It is either 2 or 3 ply black on white.

Let me see if I can find it - and if it piques your interest - its yourn!
    >:^{I)>
    Kenny Belmont

Thanx amigo

After thinking about it more, just hang onto that guard! I'm really digging the design I came up with. I appreciate the offer, and if I change my mind I'll let you know compadre!

no prob -
    When I locate it - I will send you a pic anyway - in case.......
    Kenny Belmont

Cool beans, thanx for thinking of me!

STILL WAITING ON THE NECK ROUTE TEMPLATE... But that's okay, I'm in no shape to route this week anyways. I'll try to get a picture up tonight, it's a little tricky as I only have my phone for interwebs. I do have a work around tho...

Finally got around to uploading some photos to Photobucket! It's a REAL pain in the ass, the only computer access i have is at my Dad's house, and his connection is as fast as it used to be in 1996... I have a smart phone, but have yet to figure out how to use Photobucket on it...

ANYHOODLE! Here is the mock up pic with the pickguard design I came up with. I'm still undecided as to what material I want to use, but I have time to figure that one out. And really, this bass doesn't neccesitate one.

I came up with the shape by mixing the upper part of a Tele Thinline guard with the lower part of a Jazzmaster. I think it looks awesome! It's unique and different but is culled from Fender parts. I've been thinking that a copper pearl or brown tortoise would look sweet on this baby. Also, I'm thinking a BADASS II needs to go on this beast. I know it will cover up some real estate, but the stock bridge looks lame to me on this bass. Maybe it's due to the MM pup?

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm open to others' opinions.

Gravity Jim

Love the shape. I considered the same pickguard colors you are, and concluded that nothing brings out the color of the wood (and works with black pickup covers) as well as black or black pearl. My new lacewood-tobacco burst Start body is getting a solid black guard (beveled but no white line).

I agree that mass of the pickup is what makes the bridge look wimpy... But will you feel the same when it's strung up? My MIA Precision Deluxe has a big double pup like that at the bridge, and you don't even notice the stock bridge when it has strings on it.

Good point about the bridge J, I'll just have to see. There are certain basses where the BADASS can make or break it for me. I think they look great on a P,, but I don't like 'em on a J or early 50's Tele bass. 70's Tele bass looks cool with them too! I know it's purely an aesthetic thing, but for me, when you're building "kustom" kickass guitars the "look" is almost as important as the sound.

I've experimented with the BA, and don't personally buy into the hype. I've found that sometimes the stock Fender bridge sounds better, sometimes the BA is what's needed. I'm gonna put the bass together and play it for awhile before I start changing anything. Some of the parts were bought on a budget, so I want to give this bass a thorough run through before I start "fiddling".

Thanx for the input amigo!

How about the top half of a regular Tele P-Guard, with the bottom half (horn) of a Jazz Bass...

The pointed top (of the Thinline Guard) running into the curve of the top horn/neck, just looks a bit strange to me...

Just a thought... :)

I'm one of those that believe a drunk designed the p-guard of the Les Paul Jr. Special... :)
    Lazy Bum That Lives Off His Wife...

I'll have to look at that, I have those guards here. I really like this shape, but like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

I like that mocked up guard!

Bought a chip to use in this bass, a vintage metal can LM4250! I might cut the neck pocket this week as i have time. I'm dying to get this thing together!!!