Thread: NGD! Johnny Marr signature Jaguar!

NGD! Johnny Marr signature Jaguar!

I have been waiting a while for this one. It was ordered sometime in mid to late April, and I received it today. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of the first 350 or so that got the autographed booklet, but oh well.

So far, I have only had time to tinker with it a bit at the office. Late in the day I did plug it in to check the electronics and get a rough idea of the tones (I brought in my little solid state tweed Fender Bronco for testing).

It's a beautiful guitar. I am totally glad I went with the Metallic KO instead of the Olympic White. The neck feels awesome. The low volume tones (clean and dirty) sounded good enough to assure me that it's going to sound really good cranked up. I am digging the switching and the filters as well.

This is really the only signature guitar of any ilk that I have truly actually wanted to have.

Quite excited, I am.

"I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Re: NGD! Johnny Marr signature Jaguar!

Wow!

That's SHARP!

Congrats.

That color is stunning. Great score!
    How would you characterize the sound? I've never played one, and I'm curious.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Johnny discusses it here.... (video interview)

http://www.iguitarmag.com/issue7

That's beautiful! I love that color.

I played one when it came out (they had one in-store at the House of Guitars) and it was a very, very nice instrument. I thought that the switching was nicely handled and was an improvement over standard Jag switching. The trem worked great...I decided I didn't need to get one - if only because I already have a jazzmaster - but what a great axe! Enjoy...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Thanks fatdog.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks for the comments and compliments!

I wasn't able to bring it along to practice on Thursday this week, but I did play it a bit through my Princeton Reverb on Wednesday night.

And I totally dig it.

The switching system and filters work well, and there's not a single tone that I don't like. I am usually not a fan of the tone of the bridge and neck pickups on at the same time, but I do like the way it sounds on this guitar. Especially position #4 with them on in series and the high pass filter on. I still haven't cranked it up through any of my larger amps, but I am sure it will sound just fine.

The only thing I didn't tinker with was the vibrato arm. Because of the feature that allows the arm to stay in place (instead of swinging around), it is an extremely tight fit to get the arm in the hole. There's even a little sheet about the fit being tight amongst the case candy. I will probably mess around with that this weekend.

The neck feels great, and apparently it's based on a '62 or a '65 that Johnny has that is a bit fatter than most Jaguar necks.

Overall, I think that it's a very well thought-out guitar, and I absolutely love the color and the way it looks.

Quite possibly the nicest guitar that I have.

In regards to the types of tones one can get out of it, here's a pretty good video of a guy running through different switch positions. He doesn't explain which settings they are, but still a pretty good video: http://youtu.be/In9PT7eP_2U
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

We are stoked on these here at the Zoo. Kudos to Fender for recognizing a somewhat unsung hero of guitar playing. Sweet Jag bro!