Thread: Vintage V neck?

Vintage V neck?

Not sure if this is the right category...

In the late 60s, I owned a '59 (I think) Strat. I didn't keep it for very long but IIRC, it had a distinct V shape to the neck, which I really liked. Not the large soft V of the EJ Strat, but a smaller, more pointed V. Is this my aging memory playing tricks on me, or have others seen this?

I am asking because I think I am going to get a neck made for a Partscaster Tele and I have been thinking about a V like this.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Re: Vintage V neck?

I had an old "Blackie" Clapton strat from 1989 0r 1990 or so and that Guitar had a nice V shape as well, probaby more like the '59 I think.
    On the Warmoth site they show different Neck shapes and Yours is probably in there as well.

I had a real 56 with a sharp V

JM, what did you think of the sharp V? How did it feel?

I own a '58 that has a V shape. Not a fat neck at all. I like it but the '59 I have has a more rounded neck about the same thickness. I like the sound of both strats but the '58 fatigues my hand a bit earlier in the gig. Not a big deal at all but I notice it just slightly sometimes. The rounder neck seems easier to play.

These are old Fender Strats with the 7.25 radius and small frets. If I was getting a new guitar I would consider a flatter radius. I think that affects the feel more than the back of the neck shape. At least in my book. My advice...don't get so hung up on the shape of the back of the neck....you will get used to whatever you buy.

Buck, when one gets a custom made guitar, one tends to overthink it so I think you are right about getting used to the neck. I have an Eric Johnson neck on my partscaster Strat. A friend loaned it to me until I get one I liked. I initially hated the EJ but after about 4 weeks, I loved it. Never played a fat neck in my life and I love this one!

I would dearly love to play a V neck Tele, just to see if it is like the Strat I remember. But I have played a bunch late 60s Teles lately and the C shape seems to be just fine.

sounds like your quest for a V neck is rooted a bit in nostalgia. I might suggest that you you consider separating out what is needed to satisfy nostalgia versus what is needed to give you a good quality guitar that inspires you to play.

In your "other" thread yesterday, you revealed a need for a price point cap. So that will limit you to certain builders willing to work at that price point. Talk with them about figuring out what is most important to you.

It really is subjective, the neck shape, radius and many other details. If you go all out just too get a certain V shape you may overlook emphasizing other aspects of the guitar that will make it a "musical instrument".

In my view, tone wood selection, pickups amd chemistry of paint make big differences in musicality over the shape of the back of the neck. Also in my view I would buy an existing guitar that you can play first to see how you like it. There are many neck shapes out there in the used guitar market at a price point you can live with. Ordering a "new build" guitar can be a crap shoot. An unknown quantity.

This guy ain't bad:

http://www.seufsrepair.com/Customhome.html

What is MOST important to you at your price point? ONLY YOU can answer that question.........

buck, thanks for the input. I think you may be right about the V neck nostalgia. The thing is if you are getting a guitar made from scratch, it makes you think about what you really want. I am not stuck on the V shape. I just remember it as being very comfortable. I contacted a guy from the Tele forum who just bought a 1957 Tele and I have been talking to him about it. Research, research, research!

At the end of the day, the only neck I truly DON'T like is the very fat U shape. The radius is more important to me. I played Gibsons most of my professional career and the flatter radius suits me better. In my experience, the 7.25 inch radius, at least on a Strat, presents problems. In order to avoid fretting out, the action has to be set higher, which I don't like. I am guessing the same is true with Teles.

As for price point, I found a builder who is highly recommended in the Tele forum. He can build me a one-piece ash Tele with custom hardware for less than 2K. He just built a guitar for a player who lives not too far from me (about a five hour drive) so I will be checking out his work before committing. There are a few other builders who are very classy, with great reputations, who are all under 3K. The luthiers are out there. It is a question of picking the right one.

As for tone wood, I couldn't agree more. My Strat is alder and I picked that deliberately because I like the more woody tone (at least, to my ears). I have been doing a lot of empirical research, playing as many guitars as I can. All the Teles I have played or heard that sound "right" to me are lightweight ash, under 7 lbs, and usually close to 6.5. I don't know why this is the case. Perhaps light ash has a resonance that more dense woods don't. I do know that every Tele I play which is close to 8 lbs or more just doesn't twang the way I want. Also, curiously, almost all of the high end Fender Custom Shop Teles are very light. There are exceptions, but go to the Wildwood site for example, and look at the page of CS Teles. Wildwood lists the weight of their guitars. You will be surprised.

AS for pickups, I think you are quite right. However, I can change pickups easily and for not too much money. If I don't get everything else right however, changing pickups won't change the basic guitar. You can improve a clunker with better pickups but keep in mind the old silk purse/sow's ear line.

I am disappointed that Fender cannot seem to make a serious twanger for under 4K. It is pretty clear that the best wood is going to the Custom Shop and that mainstream Fenders are mainly rock guitars.

I really got used to it and liked the sharp V

My neck was October of 56