Thread: Like A Kid In A Candy Store (Strat Shopping)

Like A Kid In A Candy Store (Strat Shopping)

I took a visit to GC the other day and looked a few (too many) of the Strats over. There's so many styles and colors to choose from these days! One that caught my eye was a cheaper model, MIM or MIJ, not sure. It had a light brownish fretboard, not sure if it was maple or rosewood, but a black pickguard on a deep satin blue (almost purplish) finish. The dull satin finish, totally unglossed, was different, nice to the feel. Anyone else seen any like this? What do you think?

Forum Member
    I dont know, but I'll stick with American Strats thank you

Originally posted by Bob Onit
    I dont know, but I'll stick with American Strats thank you
    Bob, I know what you mean; I have a few American Strats and Teles. But I've been in the mood for another as of lately, and since they're much cheaper (this one was $349.00), I thought I'd give it a try. Although I haven't bought it as of yet, I've learned through this forum that many people swear by the MIM and MIJ Strats;' very underrated over the years.

Forum Member
    I wont argue that the imports arent fine guitars but I could never bring myself to purchase one.
    When I think of the Fender Strat, I think American.
    I cant think of too many things that represent America more than a Strat but now Fender's greed has caused them to whore out what once was a great name.

All my Strats are American and the newest is a '77...... and thats the way it will stay.
    I'll take cover now. :edscouch

well put.

There are 2 different levels of quality in the MIM line. The MIM STD's sell for around $350 new. What you saw was a satin MIM STD its a new model.

There is also a Classic series of MIM models the 50's-60's and 70's Classics.

These Classic series models sell for around $600-630 new and are excellent instruments. I actually like the Classic series better than the MIA Fenders.

I have owned 4 Relic Custom Shop Strats, 2 AV 62ri's and an SRV strat all USA models none of those were as good as my Jimmie Vaughan sig Strat or my New Robert Cray Strat.

Also just so some of the newbies know the MIM models are only painted and assembled in mexico the woods are all cut in the USA in Corona Calif on the excat same machines than make the USA models.

I wont argue that the imports arent fine guitars but I could never bring myself to purchase one.
    When I think of the Fender Strat, I think American.
    I cant think of too many things that represent America more than a Strat but now Fender's greed has caused them to whore out what once was a great name.

All my Strats are American and the newest is a '77...... and thats the way it will stay.
    I'll take cover now. :edscouch
    You might end up shooting yourself in the foot that way, though - my MIJ decks my both my freinds MIA Tele and some sort of special editition MIA Strat. The damn thing resonates so much against my stomach that I've got to go for a crap every time I play it!

Maybe I should play it lower down....

If its vibrating that much might let your gilrfriend or wife play it. Nevermind dont try that you will never get it back!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Frinky
    You might end up shooting yourself in the foot that way, though - my MIJ decks my both my freinds MIA Tele and some sort of special editition MIA Strat. The damn thing resonates so much against my stomach that I've got to go for a crap every time I play it!

Maybe I should play it lower down....
    I have enough good American Strats so I will never have to consider another one.

I just think Fender should not have used the Stratocaster name on something that isnt made in this country.

I have enough good American Strats so I will never have to consider another one.

I just think Fender should not have used the Stratocaster name on something that isnt made in this country.
    Maybe true ... but bad for business. I mean after all, people from other parts of the world buy Strats too, many of them in Japan.

I agree with that 100%. Fender is about as USA as hotdogs and Apple pie. They should have never let that name be put on anything that wasnt 100% made in the USA.

But with that being said the newer MIJ-CIJ and higher priced MIM models put the USA models to shame for fit finish and workmanship.

All the USA modsels I have owned had flaws in the finish all the MIM and MIJ models I have owned have been flawless.

The workmanship on the new USA models isnt as good as MIM or CIJ and thats a shame.

Originally posted by Marcondo

The workmanship on the new USA models isnt as good as MIM or CIJ and thats a shame.
    Just as American made automobiles have been in the past, it's mainly a shame because they know that people will prefer to buy them anyway, over the competition, no matter whether they're made better or not.
    Last edited by Wisertime; 09-13-2003 at 04:59 PM.

I bought a MIM 50'S Strat a couple of years ago and it is exceptionally light weight and resonant !!! I will admit that by the time I changed the pick ups the temolo block etc.... I had enough in it to buy a nice vintage USA. It IS a great guitar sounds real good.
    I think the next one I buy will be a USA. But I will pick it out of a bunch.
    One thing I noticed about the MIM that the frets are wearing out VERY QUICKLY has anyone else noticed that ? I think they cut corners on the fret wire too(softer material?) maybe not as much nickel in it ? Never had a guitar wear the frets so soon.
    With the parts change and the fret issue and the fact that the MIM is a poly clear coat. I am quite sure my next Fender will be a nitro finish USA.I don't think the MIM cost much less by the time you get the extras to dial it in. I am going to replace the frets on the MIM just after a couple of years of playing, and it is not the only guitar I play.Do it at home but, the value of the fret work makes the prospect of a USA all that more appealing next time around.I do think that the MIM is an excellent guitar.
    How are the frets holding out on you MIM Strats etc...?????

Forum Member

Frets are fine

Originally posted by Old Dog New Trix
    I bought a MIM 50'S Strat a couple of years ago and it is exceptionally light weight and resonant !!! I will admit that by the time I changed the pick ups the temolo block etc.... I had enough in it to buy a nice vintage USA. It IS a great guitar sounds real good.
    I think the next one I buy will be a USA. But I will pick it out of a bunch.
    One thing I noticed about the MIM that the frets are wearing out VERY QUICKLY has anyone else noticed that ? I think they cut corners on the fret wire too(softer material?) maybe not as much nickel in it ? Never had a guitar wear the frets so soon.
    With the parts change and the fret issue and the fact that the MIM is a poly clear coat. I am quite sure my next Fender will be a nitro finish USA.I don't think the MIM cost much less by the time you get the extras to dial it in. I am going to replace the frets on the MIM just after a couple of years of playing, and it is not the only guitar I play.Do it at home but, the value of the fret work makes the prospect of a USA all that more appealing next time around.I do think that the MIM is an excellent guitar.
    How are the frets holding out on you MIM Strats etc...?????
    I have 2 MIM Classic Strats. They are great Strats.

I have owned (past tense) at least 30 MIA in past 25 years.
    MIA are fine. I prefer the Classic's traditional bridge to the newer 2-point MIA style.

What is lost in the MIM controversy is that the expenses are lower outside the USA....but Fender's PROFIT is made in the USA! If any one has a beef, it should be against Fender taking jobs out of the USA........... not assembling over there.

Anyway, historically: Mexican-Americans assembled Fenders in the USA. Someone have a problem with that too?

Face it, ALL USA companies would do anything to make PROFITS at expense of MIA goods....for sake of WALL STREET satisfaction ....AND FAT EXECUTIVE salaries.

I heard a comment on CNN the other day: future USA manufacturing is continuing to leave USA. Future NEW jobs will be at the Target & Walmarts of America. Where do those retailers get their goods? Overseas. So don't buy from Walmart, the place with all those USA flags...made in China?

Personally, I have been laid off by 3 employers in 2 years (lucky to get another job each time) so the companies could squeeze higher profits...stock prices.

Welcome to the NEW CENTURY ECONOMICS!

Forum Member

Re: Frets are fine

Originally posted by Aggie

Anyway, historically: Mexican-Americans assembled Fenders in the USA. Someone have a problem with that too?

I dont know how you perceived this discussion was about "who" is building these guitars.
    I dont care if they were Swiss made, its the fact that Fender would produce something as American as the Stratocaster in "any" country other than the USA.

I wonder how the Harley Davidson market would fare if they moved production out of the USA.

Shame on Fender for whoring out a once legendary name for the sake of profit.
    :nay

Re: Re: Frets are fine

Shame on Fender for whoring out a once legendary name for the sake of profit.
    :nay

It aint about profit it's about survival ! There's not a single industry affected by the need for cheaper labour costs to compete in the market ,be it domestic or global. I'll bet even Harley gets some of their parts from offsore or out of country sources. I'm just glad Fender is still around and making some fine product for good value.

I think they're as Legendary as ever.
    Tonedrip

"The shrink said I'm Tonal retentive".