Thread: What strats have the most sustain???

What strats have the most sustain???

Are there any particular factors which help a strat out in the sustain department, any particular models???

Every Strat I have ever owned has been a tremelo model. The new Robert Cray Strat I just got 3 months ago is a hardtail and it has alot more bottom end and sustain than any of the tremelo models I have owned.

I dont really know if its all the hardtail design doing it but it really has a different more beefy sound not thin like most of the other Strats I have owned.

Forum Member
    You have to find a guitar that "rings" acoustically.
    I have many Strats and some sustain better than others.
    I cant attribute this to body/neck woods as they are all different.

As far as the Hardtail theory goes, I will buy that.
    Theres more transfering of tone with a solid tail piece?

I will say that theres a difference in tone between a hard tail and a trem model as the spring cavity on a trem model lends to the "woody" Strat tone as the springs create a "reverb" effect.

Just put your ear up to any unplugged trem equipped Strat and you will hear what I'm refering to.

TFF Stage Crew
    I've got both hardtail and tremolo equipped strats and the hardtail definately has better sustain.

There's no improving on a hardtail for sustain.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Electron
    There's no improving on a hardtail for sustain.
    Unfortunately you lose some of the trademark Strat sound

TFF Stage Crew
    True that.

First off, all "identical" guitars are NOT created equal due to woods, const tolorances etc etc. That's probably a good thing.....?

I have a '97 Am Std Strat and have 'blocked' the trem in the # bending side. No problem with broken strings/tuning and I can still do the dives. I've added a fourth spring to maintain the pressure on the trem tab and block. I've also added a Tusk (bone or ivory are good too but overkill on an axe other than a good acoustic IMHO) nut which may help some too.

The 'blocked' trem and the nut do add more contact area/better sonic materials and sonic transfer btwn the strings and the body and/or neck. This coupled with a solid body to neck interface will increase sustain providing the woods like it.

This guitar sustains damn near as well as my PRSi hardtails, esp with the Kinman AVn-Blues pups.

She's shares my #1 axe choice with a PRS Hollowbody II. Even in the sustain department!

Hammer on.......Blair

Forum Member
    Hardtail string-through Strats made of ash
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."

i agree with having to play numerous guitars to find a good one. but i do it unplugged and in a quiet room. once you find a good one, a trick i like to do is pull the neck and check the holes in the body. the screws should pass thru easily without hang ups. then i reinstall the neck and tighten it like you would a car tire. then i let it sit for a couple hours and check the tension. and i also check the bridge screws. granted these little things do add a whole lot, but compounded, it does add up.
    i have several trem strats, and a single hardtail. i do notice a little bit of a difference between the two styles. but if you have a good guitar and a good set up, the difference is very minimal. my blue strat can go head to head sustain wise with my buddy's paul. but the trem does make the strat a little zingier. just my thoughts, take it for what it's worth.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Marcondo
    Every Strat I have ever owned has been a tremelo model. The new Robert Cray Strat I just got 3 months ago is a hardtail and it has alot more bottom end and sustain than any of the tremelo models I have owned.

I dont really know if its all the hardtail design doing it but it really has a different more beefy sound not thin like most of the other Strats I have owned.
    Ditto.

Originally posted by Marcondo

The funny thing about it is that Robert Cray never really plays with very much sustain at all. When I saw him live, I was actually a bit aggravated by how dull and quitting his sound quality was.

dunno bout the hardtail, but a Callaham trem block and assembly makes all the difference to my ears!

I just don't think sustain when I think strats. As an ex-LP player, I was looking for something with a little less sustain. I do have an ash parts-o-caster with the Callham block that does sustain longer than my stock MIA strat. I would definetly go with a hardtail, then make sure the strat had a nice, snug neck pocket.:nelson
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City