Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P90 Strats

Re: P90 Strats

Santana is not always that over driven, another swing and a miss. Lets look at his discography and see if that is true.

Dang, geezer, you're just determined to argue every single little point. OK since I do not care to listen to Santana's entire discography, I'll concede the point. In fact, I'll concede all of 'em. I don't get on here to argue.

By the way, aside from the odd single - I haven't enjoyed a single thing Santana's done since he switched over to PRS.

I know a lot of people love 'em, and that they're fabulous instruments, I just never got on with 'em.

There's a reason they call me Rickenjangle and it's not because my name is Rick (it's not) but because I prefer the jangle of a good Rickenbacker, Fender, or Gretsch.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I prefer a P90 Strat.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Apparently.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Sorry John but it was your partner that started this nonsense, and being a Santana fan I am aware of his work and tones and I had just thought you weren't accurate.

Because he likes his P90 Strat? Or because he voiced his opinion that some PRS's are overpriced?

I can see that we kicked your sacred cow - so let me be clear...

I dig Santana - especially his first couple of albums. I still have them on vinyl. I also loved the song "I'm winning" which I believe was played on a strat (don't shoot me if I'm wrong). I like the song Smooth, but have been generally not overwhelmed with the impetus to buy his more recent albums. I also saw him with Wayne Shorter years ago and was underwhelmed. But he is a fantastic player, and has a style all his own.

As for PRS' - my friends own 'em, I've played 'em, and never felt the onus to get one for myself. Not that they're not great guitars - I just don't prefer 'em. And as for Boogie - I hated the one I had (.22 caliber). But I realize that's not one of their better offerings, and I've had buddies that still use their Studio Preamp in, well, the studio.

One of my old favorite bands, Third Day, had a lead guitarist leave. The founding guitarist at that point wanted to change up his sound - and when I saw them live for the first time as a 4-piece, he used about 7 or 8 unique examples of PRS's...I liked the Mira and the SE One that he used the best...

But this discussion began with P90 strats, so I'll say this:

Chuck, I gotta hear your P90 Strat - I havent' yet had the pleasure.

And I hope you like your new Strat.

My .02 cents

I own 20 guitars including custom shop strats, les pauls SG's teles and more

I have had 2 PRS guitars and without a doubt they had more versatility.
    than any other No they don't sound like LP or a Strat but fit, form and function they are excellent guitars. The frets are filed perfectly

No buzz anywhere on the neck, only the finest quality woods, stays in tune and does not weigh 10 lbs (ouch)

I own a dark cherry CE-22 which interestingly enough is kind of like a LP and strat put together I would really like to try one with P-90s too
    I love that guitar
    If you look at 1958 fender factory tour they made all the bodies and necks by hand back then too

PS look at a my avatar 1958 Fender factory

Interesting, by the way - those PRS amps look very, very nice...

Just sayin' is all...

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Interesting, by the way - those PRS amps look very, very nice...

Just sayin' is all...
    Now, I would consider those overpriced. Might be nice, but I'd never buy one. There are a lot of nice amps out there these days.
    orange picks

Yeah, I know...but one of my heroes - Warren Haynes - is using them. Of course, his Diaz is always on too and the Soldano. It's hard to say what's what when you're running 3 heads, a Bradshaw rig, and a pair of combo amps used as monitors for the drummer and keyboardist...

I'll bet their sound is pretty loud!

I agree lots of good amps out there now compared with the Old days heheh
    I do have a TC-90 with SAD soapbars semi hollow tele style with set neck it flat out screams The SD soapbars sound amazing
    Kind of like an old LP junior

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Wow, PRS claiming to be the best at something. That never happens!

CNC'ed poly guitars for $3000. P.T. Branum had it nailed.
    It was referring to me as a sucker that did it. If you want respect give some, And it's P. T. Barnum. Now I got it out I am done reacting to negativity.

I doubt he was referring directly to you - that's not the sense I got from that post...and I've learned (to my chagrin) that it's bad form to pick on peoples' spelling/grammar on an internet board (I'm a tech writer, and I make typos too so it's kind of a "people who live in glass houses" kind of thing)...especially when it's an obvious fat-finger typo and not a result of stupidity.

After all, OSA is, quite literally, a rocket scientist.

See, I used 'kind of' twice in the same sentence. Proves I'm a

I said I would quit John, but in my history of posting I receive a less than courteous post back from Chuck, I don't know why but it happens and if you follow the posts in this topic it was not just my feathers that were ruffled.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    I said I would quit John, but in my history of posting I receive a less than courteous post back from Chuck, I don't know why but it happens and if you follow the posts in this topic it was not just my feathers that were ruffled.
    geez, here's the deal. You made a claim. I countered it, with factual evidence, even a video of how PRS's are made. Hardly a Collings or a Suhr, wouldn't you agree?

So that's why imho, you get all wound around the axle from time to time. You make a baseless claim, people challenged it with facts and then you get defensive. I stated an opinion, and when challenged I produced evidence of why I feel the way I do.

People here disagree with me all the time. I never one complained or called names. If I am wrong and they correct e then they are my benevolent teachers, not my enemies.

Sorry if you get upset, but that's how we do things here. We allow others to have an opinion and we allow people to challenge them as long as it's without name calling. We call that "discourse".

There's another thread going on here where I'm definitely a minority opinion. Others have countered my posts on a point-by-point basis. Guess what? I'm happy they share what they feel. I welcome their viewpoints and respect them. They're are my friends. If we all keep open minds we all learn. I'm not going to call out pc in a thread because he challenged my position.

As far as me picking on you - this is not the first time you have said that. And it is never in a thread you started. You have, (again imho) habitually quoted the "master narrative" of guitar tone and when challenged to defend your position with any type of evidence, cried that someone is picking on you. Frankly, it's getting tiresome.

Members here disagree with me all the time. I consider their arguments and if I am wrong, I am thankful for their benevolent guidance.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 04-29-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

You can disagree that is fine just no darts in the process please.

Geez, all I'm saying (and I do have the benefit of knowing Chuck personally) is that I doubt his diatribe against PRS' pricing/value/manufacuring process - and his post beginning said diatribe - were darts aimed at you.

And yes, there are others that would get their feathers ruffled by someone dissing a favorite guitar or guitar type.

I just PERSONALLY don't prefer PRS. Not that they suck.

In fact, at one point I was hot-and-heavy into getting a PRS SE One - though I never got to try one, and the finish option I would have wanted never came to the House of Guitars - nor was the Sunburst model ever (to my knowledge) available on Musiciansfriend...

John I have nothing against you or Chuck for that matter So lets try this, we won't use references like a"A sucker is born every minute and other things of that nature, I am sure we can all agree to disagree in a polite manner. I am to old to be insulted by any body on this forum and try my best not to be negative with others which my history here shows, I looked it up.

OK let's just agree to disagree; I don't believe I read in this thread "A sucker is born..." but if you feel that you were disrespected then who am I to refute that? I mean, how you feel is how you feel...no disrespect meant on my part.

John you actually are a peacemaker and very polite I have never felt you acted in that way, The Pt Barnum reference was posted in response to my original post, was it directed at me or all the PRS owners on this forum?

Well, I don't want to come off as OSA's chief apologist, but I took it (and of course this is only my own interpretation) as more of a sarcastic diatribe at guitar manufacturers in general that take advantage of guitar buyers who are being hoodwinked by mass-produced guit-fiddles at higher prices...

Of course to be specific towards PRS when Gibson, and to a lesser extent, Fender (with some of their reissues) are doing the same thing...well, $3K for a Les Paul Standard?? REALLY? Other than the name, what are you really paying for???

Or - to pick on my own personal sacred cow...how is it that the prices for a Rickenbacker guitar or bass keep going up, up, up in the past few years? I know production costs are up, but these guitars are generally exactly the same as they have been for years and years! No innovation at the RIC plant, that's for sure!!

And Gretsches...hmmm...made in Japan now but still charging MIA prices? WTF??? Does the $3200 White Falcon REALLY sound, play, look, and feel $2500 better than my Electromatic? REALLY??

Rickenjangle, don't blame the guitar makers, blame the doofuses (doofi?) that pay those insane prices.

But still, why no P90 Strat? The twang and sparkle of a Fender with the growl of P90's. It's like seeing a really classy looking woman walking out of a hotel in the morning in an evening dress. Dirty girl!

And Gretsches...hmmm...made in Japan now but still charging MIA prices? WTF??? Does the $3200 White Falcon REALLY sound, play, look, and feel $2500 better than my Electromatic? REALLY??
    I dunno about a guitar covered in white paint, but I feel my 6120 was well worth the $$$ I spent for it, and easily the equal of anything currently coming out of the Gibson plant, and other then pickups, the equal of most US-made vintage Gretsches.

I played a mid 60's 6119 the other day, and even though it looked like it was well taken care of it still needed a neck reset, the binding was falling apart, and the pickups were anemic, even for hi-lo-trons
    orange picks

Kap'n, it just seems like they jack up the price just because it's a WF instead of (pretty much) the same guitar with a normal color...

I keep hoping they'll do an Electromatic Hollowbody with the Dynasonics that has all WF appointments - THAT I'd pay $1000 for (about $350 more, roughly, than a reglar one...).

I got my orange E-H with the fancy pinstriping by Jimmy C. for just $50 more than the same guitar in plain orange...only thing is that the pickups are way below par on the suck-o-meter...gonna order some TV Jones for that!

My 6120 should be coming back from the surgeon today with some new TV Jones Classics in it.
    orange picks

nice
    i have never seen a P-90 strat myself
    but my TC-90 screams The only thing that bugs me is the hum
    But compared with P-100s I can deal with it
    FWIW Fender RW the pups with one another so in the middle pos it cancels the hum

In my experience the signal/hum ratio of P90's isn't any worse than other single coils, it's just that there's more hum because there's more output than a strat or tele.
    orange picks

I keep hoping they'll do an Electromatic Hollowbody with the Dynasonics that has all WF appointments - THAT I'd pay $1000 for (about $350 more, roughly, than a reglar one...).
    I'm not a big fan of the big headstock look of the Falcons.

OTOH, I could be inspired to buy a WP over a Jet if they had the same 25.5" scale as the Falcons.
    orange picks

Or - to pick on my own personal sacred cow...how is it that the prices for a Rickenbacker guitar or bass keep going up, up, up in the past few years? I know production costs are up, but these guitars are generally exactly the same as they have been for years and years! No innovation at the RIC plant, that's for sure!!
    One of the saddest things every year at the NAMM show is the Ric Booth. No innovation, no newness, no cutting edge anything. It's the exact same thing year after year. I don't know that they even disassemble it from year to year. The only thing that might be new is a Reissue of a previous model that a Beatle might have used. It's really quite sad.

The other end of this is that they defend those designs with a passion. Other manufacturers can't even market something similar without hearing from the Ric legal department. They gave me crap about selling this Italia 12 string as if anyone with a passing interest in guitars would mistake it for a Ric.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fripperton View Post
    One of the saddest things every year at the NAMM show is the Ric Booth. No innovation, no newness, no cutting edge anything. It's the exact same thing year after year. I don't know that they even disassemble it from year to year. The only thing that might be new is a Reissue of a previous model that a Beatle might have used. It's really quite sad.
    What I can't fathom is why they can't even make the Rickenbacker everybody wants. An Old Style Rick 360-12 with toasters and a neck width that's comfortable.
    orange picks

From what I understand - they won't even let you special-order a wider neck for your 12-string - and AFAIK the only one that has a reasonable neck is the Petty.

Oh, and don't even get me started on why they charge so much more for the toaster-tops...sure, they sound and look more vintage, but then again do they cost THAT much more to produce?

Even though the neck was tough to grok and the pickups were the "wrong" ones, I wish I had my old 360/12 WB that had the old-style Capri body with top and back binding. That was a great guitar...

Fripp, I have coveted one of those Riminis 12's for a long time but of course you can't try one out first...

Forum Member

I think Strats with P90's look silly. So do Ric's unless you're wearing a Sgt Pepper coat or Tom Petty's muttonchops.

Now SGs on the other hand - sweet sweet P90 lovin'

What about wearing Sgt. Pepper's Coat, Sonny Bono's mustache, Petty's muttonchops, and Roger McGuinn's little rectangular sunglasses?

, Sonny Bono's mustache,
    That could be a horror film

They Saved Sonny Bono's Moustache
    orange picks

There is a Ric for sale on Craigslist this morning but it is very expensive. It is in Madison Wi.

That's not a terrible price for that guitar with the TT pickups and the vintage style hardcase...but it IS a lot of money for us weekend warriors to justify...

I like those old mapleglo axes - really classy...

Gas!!!