Thread: iPad guitar connectors?

Forum Member

iPad guitar connectors?

So I finally bought an iPad (just got an iPad 2) and the little thing is so much fun! Been messing around with GarageBand (which is a helluva lot of fun for this weekend warrior hack, btw) but need a way to connect my guitar to it. I've seen that iRig and it's cheap, about $30, but have also seen that one advertised in the new iPad 2 commercials that hooks up via the dock connector. The Apogee JAM. That one is $100 though.

So my question: is the iRig any good? Good sound, no latency issues? Or would the Apogee JAM be worth the extra $70?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: iPad guitar connectors?

Apogee JAM looks pretty good and they make great stuff! I'm using an Apogee Duet with my MacBook and it's incredible. Latency is not an issue as I'm monitoring through the Duet and the Duet is the sound device.

I still have doubts about it though, because it was very expensive! We'll see how I feel about it later in the week when I plug it into my home stereo and use it for one of it's other purposes- to listen to iTunes, CDs and streaming radio channels. It sounds incredible with headphones!

Forum Member

Thanks for the input Don! I'm closely looking at it. I'm really just wondering about the latency. The less latency, the better!

I also have an M-Audio fast track for my Mac. If I get a camera connector kit and plug the fast track into the camera kit will that work? Of course if the JAM works I can just sell the fast track and use the jam for both my Mac and iPad.

I'm using the iRig in my iPhone with Amplitude - the only issue I had with it was that it lost stability if the phone was one. Turn the phone off, good to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I'm using the iRig in my iPhone with Amplitude - the only issue I had with it was that it lost stability if the phone was one. Turn the phone off, good to go.

Any latency issues with the iRig? With an iPad we're not exactly talking about high studio quality gear so i'd hate to spend $100 for no good reason, but if latency is a problem with the iRig and not with the JAM (which is yet to be seen since it's not out yet) I'd be willing to get the jam.

TFF Stage Crew

I have an iRig on my iPad (first gen) and there is no latency at all, although I have not used it with GB.

Forum Member

Sounds likes the iRig would be worth a gamble then. At $30 vs $100 why not give it a shot? There's a 4 week lead time on the JAM too.

Forum Member

I see peavey has a device out as well. Anyone using it?

I have an iRig and it just works as an adapter for the guitar. You don't have to buy the Amplitube software; iRig will work with any software. I've tried both the iRig and the PRS GuitarBug, and the iRig is definitely better.

Also, Amplitube beats every other guitar amp simulator I've found on the iPhone/iPad platform.

Quote Originally Posted by old blue View Post
    I see peavey has a device out as well. Anyone using it?
    I haven't tried it. It's battery powered, unlike the iRig. Apparently the battery power is for a circuit that prevents feedback, so it may be the way to go if you're doing a lot of high gain stuff, but I haven't had any problems with my iRig.

Forum Member

I've got the iRig with my iPad and it works great. There's no latency at all.

Works well with Amplitube and Garageband for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Also, Amplitube beats every other guitar amp simulator I've found on the iPhone/iPad platform.
    The Fender amp clones are definately really good on Amplitube - sound quality is fantastic and realistic. The Marshall and Mesa clones are not that great however, and the distortion stomp models are anemic. Additionally, the recording function - even with the $20 recording kit upgrade - is an absolute joke and is flat out unusable. They seem to have modeled it after an old 8 track tape recorder and make you bounce tracks down before recording another take - its ridiculous in this day and age. No drums, no accompanying instruments. It does have a quick easy song import and trainer, however.

Garageband, for $5 has an absolute killer recording suite including drum machine, virtual drums, bass and keys. The guitar amps are only in the mid-range of modeling detail, and I wish these programers would use sliders instead of clumsy knobs (goes for Amplitube too). For cutting quick jam and scratch tracks - you can't beat Garageband - even with the mid-range amp models.

Quote Originally Posted by grandturk View Post
    I've got the iRig with my iPad and it works great. There's no latency at all.

Works well with Amplitube and Garageband for me.

The Fender amp clones are definately really good on Amplitube - sound quality is fantastic and realistic. The Marshall and Mesa clones are not that great however, and the distortion stomp models are anemic. Additionally, the recording function - even with the $20 recording kit upgrade - is an absolute joke and is flat out unusable. They seem to have modeled it after an old 8 track tape recorder and make you bounce tracks down before recording another take - its ridiculous in this day and age. No drums, no accompanying instruments. It does have a quick easy song import and trainer, however.

Garageband, for $5 has an absolute killer recording suite including drum machine, virtual drums, bass and keys. The guitar amps are only in the mid-range of modeling detail, and I wish these programers would use sliders instead of clumsy knobs (goes for Amplitube too). For cutting quick jam and scratch tracks - you can't beat Garageband - even with the mid-range amp models.
    Timely post! I just scored an iPad, spent 15 hours upgrading the OS so I could use Garageband! Got my iRig here in Afghanistan with me and was wondering if it would work with GB on the iPad. I'm thinking my down time spent watching movies will now be spent playing around with Garageband!!! I had been using my iRig with Amplitube on my iPhone with good success but this expands the possibilities for sure...

Forum Member

I use the irig as well with GarageBand. No problems at all so far. iPads rule!