Thread: Tele Clone Quandry

Forum Member

Tele Clone Quandry

Long time since i've posted! I have a quandry. My guitar playing is very spotty these days. I live in an apartment so using actual amps is out. I'll play around with GarageBand on my Mac some but can never remember how to hook everything back up. Hoping GarageBand for my new iPad will be easier! Plus I can play around with keys and drums...

Anywho, I have an ash Tele body and neck from Warmoth sitting in my closet. It was S@it or get off the pot time to actually build the thing or sell it on e-bay. I settled on selling it. The neck is fine but some cockroaches got into the box the body was in and crapped all over it. I was able to sand most of it off with a very quick sanding job but there are some stains on it. See the picture below. The value just went down. No one wants a translucent or see thru ash body with cockroach crap stains on it.

My options:

1. Sell it on e-bay anyways, hoping someone who wants a solid finish doesn't care

2. Hope it sands off, if so do a tru oil finish cause it's easy

3. Try the Deft/Krylon rattlecan thing.

Difficulties with the rattlecans: I live in an apartment and have a non-climate controlled garage. I also live in Savannah, GA so humidity and bugs are not my friend. Bugs would probably be less of a problem inside a garage but still. If done in a garage do you think I'd be OK? Inside my apartment is out. Humidity here is pretty high typically. Around 50%-60% on a regular basis.

Recommendations?
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Re: Tele Clone Quandry

Try bleaching it. Seriously. A mild bleach solution should remove most, if not all, of the stains, and they bleach wood all the time in many industries. Afterwards, you'll need to do a light sanding to knock down the wood fibers that were raised during the process, but it would be less sanding involved than trying to sand out the stains.
    POO DAT!!!

Clean it up and use Minwax Wipe On Poly. I used that on my T-Style almost 8 years ago with no filler or sealer. It came out great and has lasted well.

For painting, why not try to connect with one of those art college students in Savannah - someone should have some studio space that you could borrow, rent or steal?

Forum Member

Bleach? Never thought of that! And since I'm not a native I forgot; they're not "cockroaches", they're "palmetto bugs". The unofficial state bird of Georgia.

So first step is a mild bleach solution. I'll do that and post the results. I just may do the wipe-on Poly. It would be the most practical solution due to the humidity and the bugs. And nowhere climate controlled and free that I can spray it.

Being born and raised in Louisville, KY I could even call it the Louisville Slugger!

Forum Member

First step didn't work. I got some Clorox Clean-up cleaner at the grocery to try bleaching out the cockroach crap stains and it helped but not enough to be comfortable with a bare naked finish.

So I'm back to rattlecans. So a couple questions:

1. There aren't any woodworking specialty shops where I live. Is there something available at Home Depot or Sherwin Williams or something that can work as a good grain filler?

2. Will the regular 'ol indoor/outdoor Krylon work for the color? I remember (way back when) Fezz Parka used pink Krylon for a Strat clone.

3. Any tips for keeping bugs and stuff at a minimum when spraying outside? Would some sorta mosquito net or "tent" or something work?

they sell laquer sanding sealer and grain filler at OSH, deft brand. i have some that i'll be using this week, i'll let you know how it works out. i'm planning on using it on my semi hollow bass i'm building.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I have the deft sanding sealer but couldn't find any grain filler. I'll look at Home Depot and Ace Hardware again. That's about all we have here in south Georgia.

Let me know how it turns out!

TFF Stage Crew

Grain filler is going to be found at someplace like Rockler's or another woodworker's specialty shop. Home Depot or Lowe's may have it but I'd doubt it.
    While you're at Rockler's you might ask for some wood bleach; it's very different than household bleach & can work wonders. I know, I've used it a number of times. It comes in crystal form & you mix it w/water & brush it on.
    If that pic is of the worst of it, then I'd go w/a translucent Blonde finish. It will cover most of the spots but still let the grain through & look traditional.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    they sell laquer sanding sealer and grain filler at OSH, deft brand. i have some that i'll be using this week, i'll let you know how it works out. i'm planning on using it on my semi hollow bass i'm building.
    +1

Home Depot carries the Deft Sand and Sealer and clear lacquer also.

I used the Sand and Sealer and skipped the grain filler on my last Ash Strat clone and it came out very nicely. The lacquer has shrunk and the grain shows slightly through the finish. IMHO, the grain showing slightly gives the finish a nice vintage look. I sprayed outside in humid conditions but hung the guitar with bungee cord from screws on the inside of the neck pocket. This allowed me to spray the whole body each pass and let me move the body after each coat.

After a coat I brought it inside to keep down on the bugs and dust. If you spray in your garage and bring it in afterward, the fumes are negligible. And no, I wouldn't spray lacquer inside living quarters either.

After bringing it back out for your next coat(s) let it acclimate to the outside temp for a while if there is a huge difference between the garage and the apartment. If the garage is in a basement the difference should be minimal.

Best advice I can give is take your time. Any and all mistakes I've made on refins have been due to impatience. It is not going to happen over night. You're probably looking at a two to three week process for the lacquer. Less for poly or acrylics but then the end result is less than optimal for stringed instruments.

There is a reason why most high end instruments use lacquer. Lacquer is also pretty forgiving for novices like myself. If you haven't read it yet already, refinishing 101 at ReRanch is a must read prior to starting.

Good Luck!

Link below

http://www.reranch.com/101a.htm
    Last edited by DanD; 04-05-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Forum Member

Unfortunately savannah has no woodworking specialty shops at all. If you can't find it at lowe's or home depot you're not going to find it locally. I'll probably have to order some grain filler.

The last time I attempted this I could not under any circumstances get the reranch stuff to not orange peel like crazy. I couldn't wet sand it down either cause the orange peel was so bad that I would sand down to the color coat. Definitely using Deft clear. Might or might not do the translucent white blonde. I'd like to do it but not sure if I can find a non-reranch rattle can of translucent white.

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    Unfortunately savannah has no woodworking specialty shops at all. If you can't find it at lowe's or home depot you're not going to find it locally. I'll probably have to order some grain filler.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=woodw...rlz=1I7ADFA_en
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

There are lumber companies, cabinet companies, cutting tool supply companies, etc... here but I haven't been able to find a woodworking supply place that sells wood finishing supplies such as grain filler. Not even a mom and pop version of Woodcraft or Rockler.

Just had a thought. There's a wood shop at work and they oftentimes have to work with exotic woods. I wonder if they would have some grain filler? It'd be worth a shot.

Gee, maybe they can even do the job of getting the bug juice off the body for you. They'd certainly have to have the skills to do that for you.

BTW, I just love visiting Savannah!
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

LOL! That's one...colorful tele! I think I've settled on plan b. Get someone else to finish the body. There's a local guy, who apparently is a big name in the vintage and repair business (Randy Wood), who said he can finish it for $300. I don't have a whole heckuvalot of time these days due to work so I think I'm going to get him to spray the body. And I really want white or white blonde for some reason.

I'll just do the neck with the satin wipe-on poly since it's quick and easy.