Thread: Bone saddles and nuts - what can I expect?

Bone saddles and nuts - what can I expect?

I'm thinking of replacing the Tusq saddle and nut on my main acoustic squeeze - a Seagull Artist Series Cedar top/Mahogany sides back - with bone. One of the things I LOVE about the cedar/mahogany combo is it's warm, mellow timbre. I have NO experience with bone material, so any advice you can give me as to what to expect (should I go ahead with having them made) would be appreciated.

Of course - the nice thing about this mod, is it's totally reversible. If it sucks, all I'd have to do would be to put the old saddle and nut back onto the guitar.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Bone saddles and nuts - what can I expect?

I don't think you have anything to gain by replacing the Tusq saddle and nut you already have with bone. Tusq is more consistent in terms of quality and sound than bone and has less issues with binding as well. I have done quite a bit of comparison testing between the two materials and Tusq seems to always come out on top. Bone is a definately an improvement over just about everything else out there but you've already got some guality stuff on your guitar.

Originally posted by Telebluesfan
    ....Of course - the nice thing about this mod, is it's totally reversible. If it sucks, all I'd have to do would be to put the old saddle and nut back onto the guitar.
    If you're still curious about bone however, go ahead and give a try. It is a reversible mod and you may actually prefer it. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself.