Thread: Adding dots: worthwhile?

Adding dots: worthwhile?

Any idea what a fair (ballpark) price might me to have clay dots installed on a Warmoth Tele neck with a rosewood fretboard?

I'm wondering if such a mod would be worth the effort to make a neck more appealing.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Re: Adding dots: worthwhile?

You know Neo, I've started leaving the dots off completely. I only use the position markers on the side. My Ovations taught me the neck dots are purely ornamental.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My Larrivee doesn't have any dots on the board. I can play it, but IMHO, it's not as visually appealing.

I suspect it's a fairly easy job for a real luthier, but I don't know how much it would cost.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    My Ovations taught me the neck dots are purely ornamental.

I agree. My Silvertone 1420 which does not have side dots has taught me the importance of them! It has dots on the fretboard but I still occasionally get lost (if I don't play the guitar regularly) because of the lack of side dots!

I am not realy sure, were the original clay dots Ivory? I think it wil be very hard to find real ones now and what is the point for puting in artifical ones, just for the looks? In time they wil look no where like the real thing. I used to have a '63 Jaguar with Clay dots and could see that there was a pattern in them like in wood and this wil be impossible to make artifical look like these, looked prety nice to me anyway and this is just a retro and nostalgic thing.

My Schecter only has side dots and it's a nice rosewood board.
    I took that as my visual cue when I ordered the neck.
    My Yairi only has one fancy/subtle thing at the 12th fret. I never got lost on either neck.

I'm just wondering if I can make this neck a little more "marketable," wink wink, nudge nudge, if you know what I mean, by adding the expected dots for, hopefully, a reasonable amount.
    Quick survey- how unapealing do you guys think a dotless neck is to the average joe?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I don't think it will matter. Just use a Sharpie, he he. Hey, I might like a Tele neck sans dots.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim