Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ted Nugent's Amps

Re: Ted Nugent's Amps

I kind of like Santana's playing on that first album, especially the hit with Rob Thomas. Still, I'd rather have heard it on a Les Paul or an SG (I'm a fuddy duddy who worships at the altars of Gibson, Fender, Martin, and Rickenbacker).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Except of course, when he played a Strat on I'm Winning. A return to form.
    LOVE that song! I'd forgotten about it. Thanks, Kap'n!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    I saw photos of him in the early days playing an SG but that was in the 60's, and more than 40 years ago...I don't think you can blame PRS for Santana's tone choices...
    No you bloody can't!!! I ordered a L/H L6-S on the basis of his endorsement and having listened to his version of 'Europa' on 'Moonflower'... that Gibson, in the end, backed out of supplying... I was 18 yrs old... in a sh*t job... and saved religiously for that guitar... the up side is that most people that ever owned one would say that I got out lucky ... the irony of that story is that I was offered a L/H wine red Lester Deluxe for another 100 bucks that I wish I still owned but because I was so p*ssed off with the wait and eventual disappointment... refused... it was a peach and I was young and stupid...

Don't know how a thread regarding such a mundane subject as UT's amps has veered onto Santana's choice of guitar but I'm running with Kap's view... the poor chap (the once unbelievably promising Carlos) hasn't done a lot besides annoy folk in the first few rows with a pretty loud and horrendous tone for some time now... and I agree it has nothing to do with his choice of guitar or any other equipement for that matter...

Regarding UT - he's always been the same really - and how funny is it that I - a fairly bleeding heart liberal - sometimes agree that we should line up all the social deviants that tarnish our otherwise peaceful lives and 'terminate their command without prejudice'... maybe there is a part in all of us that wishes we were as ridiculously out-spoken as our favorite idiot UT...

Sorry - did I just get political?... ...

Nah - the best sound he ever got (which seems to be a fairly 'nominal' opinion amongst his unoffendable faithful) was with those BF Twins and a Byrdland right around the time he was working his socks off and before he got all that media attention for having done so... it was magic because he was a 'showman' and played the notes - irrespective of how mundane they were and eventually became 10 fold - with no apparent attention to their execution as well as - and if not - better than - the likes of Little Richard or Chuck Berry ever did - and in front of a lot more people than both of them combined... That was exciting to watch for any kid who was ever tied to 'watching their hands do it just to make sure'...
    Last edited by yankeerob; 01-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Wow. The fact that nuge faltered and used a PRS for a time led to this Santana tangent? A Santangent, perhaps?
    No one seems to care that Ted's using lowly Peaveys, which was the answer to the original question.
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I kind of like Santana's playing on that first album, especially the hit with Rob Thomas. Still, I'd rather have heard it on a Les Paul or an SG (I'm a fuddy duddy who worships at the altars of Gibson, Fender, Martin, and Rickenbacker).
    You actually think that? If only he used a different brand?

What bugs me about Carlos' comeback phase is that he's basically a sideman on generic pop records, there to make that familiar Santana noise. He's a the hood ornament, while Rob Thomas mangles vowels and along with the other guests employs cheestastic hispanic references in their lyrics.
    Matchbox 20 fans probably think it's really diverse.

Tracks 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 on Supernatural were mainly created by CS and his band (minus american MTV celebrities) and comprise most of my hope that there can ever be a good Santana album again.

I tuned out after that, hoping at some point his obligation to Clive Davis will be fulfilled and he'll make an uniterupted Santana record someday.

Maybe he'll collaborate with his new wife and Chester Thompson and make a record for grownups.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Lots of famous musicians are asses, even some of our heroes. Remember one in particular I got paired up with in a golf cart (neither of us are golfers, lol) and had to listen his dumbass politico ranting for hours...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Wow. The fact that nuge faltered and used a PRS for a time led to this Santana tangent? A Santangent, perhaps?
    No one seems to care that Ted's using lowly Peaveys, which was the answer to the original question.
    Interesting.

You actually think that? If only he used a different brand?

What bugs me about Carlos' comeback phase is that he's basically a sideman on generic pop records, there to make that familiar Santana noise. He's a the hood ornament, while Rob Thomas mangles vowels and along with the other guests employs cheestastic hispanic references in their lyrics.
    Matchbox 20 fans probably think it's really diverse.

Tracks 1, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12 on Supernatural were mainly created by CS and his band (minus american MTV celebrities) and comprise most of my hope that there can ever be a good Santana album again.

I tuned out after that, hoping at some point his obligation to Clive Davis will be fulfilled and he'll make an uniterupted Santana record someday.

Maybe he'll collaborate with his new wife and Chester Thompson and make a record for grownups.
    Neofauve, I can't disagree with you. I do like that one song, but not because of Rob Thomas. I like the leads on the song, even if CS is selling out. And I only want to see him with a Paul or an SG because I like the old school instruments. I'd like to see Santana do something for adults as well. You make some good points.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by yankeerob View Post
    No you bloody can't!!! I ordered a L/H L6-S on the basis of his endorsement and having listened to his version of 'Europa' on 'Moonflower'... that Gibson, in the end, backed out of supplying... I was 18 yrs old... in a sh*t job... and saved religiously for that guitar...
    Bummer. He used the Yamaha on that record, if I'm to believe the pix on the inside sleeve

Both Carlos, and Nugent, I think are sort of cartoons of themselves these days.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Carlos has a chemistry w/Thompson. I'd listen to them on a project along the lines of Blues For Salvador, or Milagro, even if he was playing one of these into a POD and a powered cabinet.
    Last edited by NeoFauve; 01-27-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Chester's a great player. His work with Zappa was among FZ's best.
    orange picks

I'm still looking for the one that led this off to a "Santangent..."

I'll let you know if I find the offender.

Oh...chit.
    I feel another "Odd Thought" creeping in.
    I never promised I'd be the smartest dog in the house.

I don't know what he used in the studio, but I love the toneS Ted gets in "Stranglehold."

Not on great authority, but I heard Fender 6G3.

Wel Cygnus, give us some more of your odd thoughts in the whammy. It's been too long since you've deposited one of them in our cyber world.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Wel Cygnus, give us some more of your odd thoughts in the whammy. It's been too long since you've deposited one of them in our cyber world.
    There are so many qualifiers...Odd first.
    Then it has to be debatable without causing flames.
    It has to fit within a mold.

I have a zillion odd thoughts from the time I put on my socks in the morning to the time I take them off.
    But then I don't dream much, I save that for the day.

Biggest point of Ted's tone is driving those Fenders to the breaking point, using that hollowbody, and attitude.
    I'll leave politics out of the discussion for the same reason I'd talk about the E Street tone and avoid whatever Bruce thinks
    when not performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    Not on great authority, but I heard Fender 6G3.
    Aspen Pittman is the origin of that rumor. It might be true, but it would change his batting average significantly.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    Aspen Pittman is the origin of that rumor. It might be true, but it would change his batting average significantly.
    Well, there you have it.
    Probably a plexi then.

Anyone here familiar with a rather obscure vinyl LP titled "Survival of the Fittest" by Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes? It remains one of my favorites of all-time by any artist. I wish it was on CD. The back cover art collage is incredible ...

"Survival" was recorded live at the Eastowne Theater in Detroit on July 31 and Aug. 1, 1970, and features Rob Ruzga (bass), K.J. Knight (drums and vocals), Andy Solomon (keys, sax and vocals) and of course Ted (guitar and vocals). It has a raw, live sound I love, and the tracks are hot --- Ted and the Amboy Dukes at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespckr View Post
    Anyone here familiar with a rather obscure vinyl LP titled "Survival of the Fittest" by Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes? It remains one of my favorites of all-time by any artist. I wish it was on CD. The back cover art collage is incredible ...

"Survival" was recorded live at the Eastowne Theater in Detroit on July 31 and Aug. 1, 1970, and features Rob Ruzga (bass), K.J. Knight (drums and vocals), Andy Solomon (keys, sax and vocals) and of course Ted (guitar and vocals). It has a raw, live sound I love, and the tracks are hot --- Ted and the Amboy Dukes at their best.
    That was my intro to Nuge....great album.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    Back in the day he played the short-lived but brutally loud Super Twin 2x12s. A monster of an amp that sported like 11 tubes, weighed like 100 pounds and was supossed to put out 180 watts.

To add insult to injury, he had 2x18 extension cabinets underneath.

All that times three!

He claims they were daisy chained and that all were running pretty much dimed....jesus, I can not imagine the earth shattering sonic pressure....

Good thing we learned how to use microphones with small amps and PAs to run sound in big venues....
    Weren't the cabinets called Dual Showmans? And when I saw in 1977 at Memorial Stadium in Charlotte, NC he was using the (6) Super's with the (6) Dual Showman's and the newspaper the next day said he was audible for 5 miles away from the stadium!!!

Dual Showman cabinets, maybe.

A "Dual Showman" is a clean 85-135W amp (depending on era) head with a 2x15 cabinet. It is to a Twin Reverb what a Bandmaster is to a Vibrolux Reverb. No reverb, tremolo on one channel.

[actual size]
    orange picks