Thread: '70s 3-Bolt Neck into Modern Strat Body

Forum Member

'70s 3-Bolt Neck into Modern Strat Body

This is my first post. Alright, now that's out of the way. I recently accquired a '72 reissue maple 3-bolt fender strat neck off ebay. Its gonna be for a custom strat I'm working on. More than likely I'll end up getting a non 70s body. Most of those bodies are setup for 4 bolt necks, right? Would there be any problems with trying to put this new 3 bolt neck in a 4 bolt neck body?
    -Jason

tcbglitch

YES IWENT THRU IT
    THE BIG HEADSTOCHK NECK YOU PROBABLY BOUGHT RIGHT ? IF SO

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CAREFULLY SELECT SOME FILLER WOOD OF SIMILAR COLOR ETC
    IM SAYIN THIS BECAUSE THOSE ARE USUALLY 7.25 - 7/14 NECKS AS I CALL EM I GOT ONE THE BODY IS A LIL DIFFERENT FOR THOSE
    ILL TELL YOU HOW
    #1) YOULL HAVE TO TIGHTKLY HOLD YOUR NEW 3 BOLT NECK TO THE TUPPER HORN AREA BECAUSE THEN YOULL HAVE A LITTLE GAP ON THE BOTTOM TO FILL WITH THIS WOOD STRIP IF YOU CAN
    I AINT 100% SURE BUT U JUST CHANGED NECKS ON MY 72 BIG HEADSTOCKER 3 BOLT STRAT TO A WARMOTH NECK AND I HAD TO DO THE TOTAL OPPOSITE OF WHAT I TOLD YOU BRO TO DO OK

ME I HAD TO CHISEL A FEW SLIVERS ONLY ON THE LOWER BOUT OF MY STRAT BODY TO GET THIS NICE 4 BOLT NECK TO EASILY COMFORTABLY MOUNT SIT DOWN THE RIGHT WAY

I DONT REALLY KNO OF WARMOTH MAKIN 3 BOLT STRAT BODIES AOR WD OR TNT GUITARS BUT IF YOU CALL TNT GUITARS (ITS)

TNT CUSTOM GUITARS ASK HIM THEY DO MAKE NICE BODIES I LIKE TYHAT COMPANY MAYBE HE CAN HELP YOU OUT BUT I HONESTLY THINK IF YOU GO TO INSTALL THAT NECK INTO YOUR STTRAT BODUY YOU MIGHT HAVE A GAP ON THE LOWER HORN AREA I AM JUST PRE WARNING YOU BRO I JUSTY WENT THRU IT BUT TOTALLYB 180 DEGREES BRO I INSTALLED A WARMOTH NECK ON MY 72 STRAT AND HAD TO CHISEL OUT THE BODY NECK CAVITY A LITTLE BUT ITS TIGHT NOW I WAS AT FIRSTY PUZZELED BUT IT WORKED OUT NICE

LETY ME KNO HOW YOU MADE OUT OK?

LOU
    GUITARNOISE2002@HOTMAIL.COM OR GUITARNOISE2002@WMCONNECT.COM
    GOOD LUCK BUD
    CONTACT ME
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    None of the holes will line up but it's not a problem.
    You will need to drill and fill the existing 3 holes with a hardwood dowel and then re-drill the neck to accept the 4 bolt body.

It's very easy to do.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. If I can't handle doing the extra drilling optioned mentioned in the second reply, I'll have a friend do it for me. He put together my first guitar. Anyone know of anywhere I could get a good alder body for this strat I'm working on? I check ebay everyday, but so far haven't found that fit what I was looking for.

ok chisel saved lol

hey i had some stupid complications on the exact oppisite of wha youre doin so i hadd to chisel my b bolt body (reral fender hardtail to fit the warmoth neck in it wasnt a big issue but at least you got a good idea from us
    good luck
    lou
    guitarnoise2002@hotmail.com
    guitarnoise2002@wmconnect.com contact me either way let me know how it worked out for you ok
    good luck but at least contact me
    thanx lou
    keep rokin
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Originally posted by Bob Onit
    None of the holes will line up but it's not a problem.
    You will need to drill and fill the existing 3 holes with a hardwood dowel and then re-drill the neck to accept the 4 bolt body.

It's very easy to do.
    sooo true dowels etc... bro
    lou good luck
    he's right
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    Originally posted by tcbglitch
    Thanks for the advice guys. If I can't handle doing the extra drilling optioned mentioned in the second reply, I'll have a friend do it for me. He put together my first guitar. Anyone know of anywhere I could get a good alder body for this strat I'm working on? I check ebay everyday, but so far haven't found that fit what I was looking for.
    Keep loking on eBay.. I see them all the time for $150 or less.
    Just do a search for fender +body

You should see anywhere between 100-200 ads.
    Good luck