Thread: Volume pot question

Volume pot question

Hi everyone! I wanted to celebrate my bachelors exam so i went to the music store and picked up a really nice discounted set of Seymour Duncans Blackout pickups
    Now before you start throwing winebottles i did not install them in a fender.

I dropped them in my old pink Ibanez axe, soldered them up and gave it a whirl. They did the job great and everything was working as intended untill i was going to stop. As i turned down the volume it sank as it should, untill just before it hit 0, it gives full signal. then it dies at 0 again.

I have not opened her up yet since it became a bit late, just wondering if you guys have a quick "aye thats yerr problem" advice before i start checking it tomorrow

It is wired as the last setup on this page
    wiring

1 vol 1 tone setup. except that i converted my 5 way ibanez to a makeshift 3way. N/N/both/B/B.

Any ideas?

Re: Volume pot question

You know that is kind of funny...
    I sold my beloved Tele to my best music buddy when we were having money problems.

He tells me the Tele is doing exactly the same thing....
    I was just going to change out the volume pot, but now I wonder...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

yeah it is kind of odd! Might have to try changing the pot, but it is a brand new pot that came with the kit, never happened to me before.
    Mysteries are fun!

Forum Member

Bad pot.
    you can unfold the four tabs that keep it pinned together to take a peek in.
    It sounds like the wiper plate on the end of the knobs shaft is being allowed to go past the stop and then back around too far.
    This will let the wiper drop down to the end of the carbon trace (low volume end) go passed the blank spot( no volume, and then bacl onto the full volume end of the carbon trace.
    In short, you may need a new pot.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Looking at the circuit, I don't see how that could happen unless the pot was bad.

Before replacing the pot though, maybe check that the third lug on the pot is adequately soldered to the case for a good ground.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Check that you didn´t get any flux in the pot while soldering.
    (Happened to me once and drove me insane.)