Thread: New guitar project

New guitar project

I know I don't post here very often but thought I'd share something you guys might be interested in checking out.

I'm a drummer playing in rock bands for 30 plus years. I've always been a guitarist just never got any good in my younger days. There were always better guitarists around so it kept me behind the kit.

Over the last 10 years, life experiences caused me to want to write a bunch of songs and so I got out my trusty old guitar that I've had for 30 years and became recording. That guitar wasn't going to do it for me so I went on a buying rampage and purchased about every brand you could want and sold off what I didn't like.

I kept a Fender MIA Deluxe, a PRS Custom 24, a Les Paul Studio and a Schecter C1plus for practice.

This week I decided it was time to have a project. Here's what I'm going to do.....

Build one.

Right off I have a couple of questions.

The neck is unfinished. I don't know what is on my Deluxe but I'd like that. However, do I have to put anything on it? Can I leave it with the satin feel to it? I think the worst that will happen is it might get dirty?

If I'm supposed to put something on it, what do you guys suggest?

The other question is about the pups. It appears these are active because there is a 9v battery connector. Do I have to use a battery always? Also, the cord jack has 3 terminals and all are soldered on. The black jack I bought with the hardware only has two terminals.

Can someone explain to me ( a guy with no understanding of pickups ) how to use the two terminal jack instead of the 3?

Thanks for any responses.
    Bish
    "I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds."

Re: New guitar project

cool beans dude.

as for the pickups, yes you need a battery. as for the jack, the OG has 3 wires to turn the circuit on and off. you can bypass this by wiring the shorting wire to the ground connection on the 2 prong jack.

i'll see if i can post a diagram illustrating this.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Cool. Good luck with your project.

The finish on a neck protects it from moisture. In humid environments, the neck could take on some moisture and warp. The oils from your hands may also cause it troubles.

But hey, necks are replaceable. If you like the feel of a raw wood neck, I say play on!

You could also put some oil on it. I do not have experience with this personally, but it is my understanding that oiling the neck would protect it more from the moisture problem while also still providing much of the "naked" feel.
    s'all goof.

Well I'm embarassed to say but I couldn't wait. I had to tinker and toy around and lo and behold we have a completed guitar. It even works. LOL

Here it is next to my factory made MIA Deluxe.

Bish

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It even works
    That's what I usually like in a guitar. Nicely done! Do you like it?
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    That's what I usually like in a guitar. Nicely done! Do you like it?
    LOL!

I like it a lot. It's well balanced, has tonal variety and if I must say so, it looks pretty cool, too.

Here's some pictures of the back. I haven't drilled and mounted the back plate cover, yet.

Here's also a small sound clip I have that I tested with.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9210839
    Bish

I've got a strat I assembled myself and I never bothered to put on a back plate.
    s'all goof.