Thread: Pickups for a Gibson 333

Pickups for a Gibson 333

Hi All,

I am looking at a Gibson es-333, it's a cheaper version of the Es 335. I am having the shop "335" it: put in a pickguard, new tuners and new pickups, etc.

I was wondering what pickups you guys would throw in there to sound like a 60's 335? I was looking at Seymour Duncan '59's or JBs. Any thoughts?
    Check out my band's stuff:

The BIG Coque Band's Facebook Page
    The BIG Coque Band's Youtube Page

"Follow your bliss"
    --Joseph Campbell

Re: Pickups for a Gibson 333

Fwiw, I really like the '57 Classics in my CS-356. Warm and woody, but growl and bit too. It's a very versatile guitar.

But... I guess it kind of depends on what sort of 60s sound you're shooting for: blues? blues rock? funk, soul, or what?

What's the guitar sound like now, and what's in it? What do you want more (or less) of?

'57 Classics, perhaps the '57 Classic Plus in the bridge if you want an extra push. But I'd definately recommend the '57 Classic line.
    POO DAT!!!

I love the Classic 57s. I've used the Duncan JB and found it a bit too nasal. I have Classic 57s in my Sheraton, and it's got tone galore. I'm sure there are more expensive boutique pups that would please you too, but the Classic 57s are good and sensibly priced.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

thro-baks
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

This guy makes any guitar he demos sound pretty damn good.

He has clips up of a 333 with a few different sets of pickups.
    Burstbuckers, some variant of PAF's and some booteeky things I can't recall. Might be worth a listen.

I had a Guild Bluesbird for a number of years w/Duncan 59's. A chambered body, not as hollow as an ES. Nice sounding guitar. Never got too dark or muddy. Clean, crunchy or with creamy OD, it made me sound better than I was.

The guitar almost bought when I got the Bluesbird was an ES 135. An early one with the "chromyte" center block. It had 57 Classics.
    Could get surprisingly twangy, played a certain way into a clean amp. But at meatier settings it really sang.
    Deciding on the Bluesbird amounted almost to a coin flip.

They both could do a such a great range of sounds, which I credited to their semi-hollowness and those pickups.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

i think greg puts so many effects on his demo's that every single guitar sounds exactly the same. whether that is good or bad. thats subjective.