Thread: Super Reverb vs Deluxe Reverb

Super Reverb vs Deluxe Reverb

I have a beat-up 1970 Super Reverb with non-original speakers. I also have a 1965 Deluxe Reverb with the original speaker. I got the DR because sciatica doesn't let me use the SR all the time. I have been A/B'ing these a LOT lately and I have to say that the DR is not what I expected. I really like it - don't get me wrong - but it has way more treble than the SR (unless I use the bright switch). I have to put the treble on the DR at about 5 with my Strat whereas I have it all the way up on the SR with the same guitar. Also, the SR just has a ... twanginess that is missing in the DR. The SR also has a kind of "scooped out in the middle" sound that I like.

Now, I know that these descriptions are entirely subjective. It is just an overall impression, but has anyone else had a similar SR/DR experience?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Super Reverb vs Deluxe Reverb

Well, yeah, but a Deluxe is what it is. I used to alternate between a Deluxe & a Super depending on the club we were in. I quickly learned that a Deluxe is not a little SR or even a little Twin. It's got it's own thing going on.
    One guy here in the Seattle area (he played w/a band called The Nightcrawlers) used 4 (yes, FOUR) Deluxes all jumped together. Very cool & unique sound, like a GIANT Deluxe, lol
    I don't know what you would look for it you wanted something like a little Super.

A couple different options...

You can do a couple of mods to make the DR more to your liking.
    1. Clip out the 47pF bright cap. It's on the volume control of the Vibrato channel
    2. Replace the 6800 resistor mounted on the bass pot with a smaller value, or a 10Kohm trimpot. Adjust to taste.

Or, you can shell out a few bucks, and get a head cab and speakers. That will at least break up the weight into two manageable chunks.

I built a kit version of SR with 2x10. You could probably do that as well, but you would need two 4 ohm speakers if you didn't want to replace the OT.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Yah, I think my problem is that I was hoping for sort of a smaller SR. And you are right, it does have its own thing going. I have a friend with a chopped SR but it is still on the heavy side.

Ah, the quest for perfection....
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

get you a roadie, problem solved. your welcome!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I would rewire the 4 drivers in the SR into a 8 ohm load and power them with the DR to see just how much of a difference the two amps do have.
    You may be quite surprised to find out that the DRs briteness is due to having less bass due to the smaller total driver cone area than the SR, If that proves true than the SRs reduced high end is due to the increased bass from the added speaker area.
    Its an easy test , and should take no more than 30 minutes.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Yeah, two different animals. I like the DR okay but have held off on purchasing one for a lot of the reasons you described.

A mini SR is the sound I would like to obtain, but I fear it's just not practically possible?

Much of the Fender mojo comes from the low-wattage into 4x10" config in my opinion (SR=40 watts ?). The old Bassmans are awesome as well.

For me, it's not as much the weight of the SR as it is the bulk (my early '80s Concert 4-10 weighed considerably more. I dragged that thing all over the place)! My '67 is fairly light, especially with the original CTS alnico speakers in it. The THDs that I have in it now make it feel considerably heavier.

It would be expensive, but you could consider lighter speakers.

Doc, you should put the SR on wheels and keep it downstairs, ready to roll out to the cab...it's not like you're going to ruin the value of it - the cosmetics are already a bit knackered...and while I liked your DR a lot, when you plugged into the SR I was blown away. With your 345 it was like "instant NUGE". And then on the bass pickup, instant Santana...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."