Thread: Spring Reverb Observations.

Forum Member

Spring Reverb Observations.

I am not a accomplished guitar player by any means, but I do like a medium amount of reverb in my amps. Last night I changed another "8" series Accutronics tank for a "4". The short tanks just seem to have too much "boing", I know the delay is rated in milliseconds, but the longer tank just sounds fuller to me.
    I changed the tank in my chinese Fender head, and now my 90's little Fender hybrid, and I think they both sound better. I have an old 70's Rickenbacker guitar amp, and a Roland rack mount tape echo unit that have the small tanks from OC Electronics,(made by beautiful Wisconsin girls), and they are as bad as the "8" series Accutronics!
    Now what is wierd, I have an old single 6V6 Airline, that still has the original Hammond tank inside the little cardboard box, and it doesn't seem to "boing" like the small Accutronics, the reverb actually sounds pretty good!
    I used a "9" series for my "Twin" build, as I wanted it for my steel guitar, and it sounds great with the Sho-Bud. If you play 6 string through it though, Dick Dale would be jealous, even at low settings it's really "wet".
    I wonder if the tube driver and recovery in the reverb circuit really help get the sounds I'm looking for, vs the SS, or is the size of the tank the determining factor?

Forum Member

Re: Spring Reverb Observations.

Its no far to judge any of sounds from these/ your tanks unless you first confirm that the small soleniod/transformers at each end of the tank are held firm on there iron core.

On many new and for certian used tanks these are loose and therefore the the coupling into and out of the pans springs is compremised.

One of the things I do on any amp I service with reverb is to dribble gap filling Super Glue into the gap between the winding and the iron core to get then to couple as they should.

And if the winding is already tight I add the glue just to keep it that way.
    On some used pan`s the gap is so huge you have to wonder how any verb gets made at all.
    I also dab clear silicone on the windings where wires go in and on the RCA jacks to stop vibrations from snapping them off , in fact even on the newer pans that have slip on connectors to the windings you should dab on some glue to keep that in place and its fragile connection tight.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Forum Member

Thanks for the tip, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
    Its no far to judge any of sounds from these/ your tanks unless you first confirm that the small soleniod/transformers at each end of the tank are held firm on there iron core.

On many new and for certian used tanks these are loose and therefore the the coupling into and out of the pans springs is compremised.

One of the things I do on any amp I service with reverb is to dribble gap filling Super Glue into the gap between the winding and the iron core to get then to couple as they should.

And if the winding is already tight I add the glue just to keep it that way.
    On some used pan`s the gap is so huge you have to wonder how any verb gets made at all.
    I also dab clear silicone on the windings where wires go in and on the RCA jacks to stop vibrations from snapping them off , in fact even on the newer pans that have slip on connectors to the windings you should dab on some glue to keep that in place and its fragile connection tight.
    It would be nice Steve if you can post some pictures to show the areas that you are talking about. I'd like to take the steps you are talking about, but I'd like to get a visual before I go in to start gluing things together.