Thread: Problem wiring 2 humbuckers in my Tele

Forum Member

Problem wiring 2 humbuckers in my Tele

This is an RS Guitarworks prewired assembly. All I did was solder the hot pickup leads to the switch (I followed their diagram and checked some others online and it looks correct) and then soldered the braids from both pickups to the back of the volume pot (ground). There was a wire for the bridge ground and I exposed the wire and placed it underneath the bridge (it's a short Tele bridge--like on a GE Smith Tele). No sound from the pickups. I am somewhat new to wiring/soldering; any ideas? Both pickups measured fine before the install.

Re: Problem wiring 2 humbuckers in my Tele

Where are the white and black wires from the jack connected?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Does it work when the control plate is out of the guitar?

One thing that concerns me a lot is the braided shield running along the side of the switch. You need to cover it so that it can't touch the contacts on the switch. That will cause problems.

Also, are both of those braided shields soldered well to the back of that pot or some other ground? They don't look like they're soldered to that pot very well. I would remove them, tin them and re-solder them.

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips. Yes, same result when the control plate is out of the cavity. I will re-solder the braids to the vol pot and see if I can either remove the braid so it doesn't touch the control switch or simply wrap some electrical tape around it. I purposely left the leads long in case I want to remove these pickups and put them in another guitar, so it's a tight fit in there. Are there any parts that the braids should not touch? There is shielding inside the cavity (copper foil); any problems touching it? Will report back.

It's fine if the wire's shielding touches the cavity's shielding. Use a DMM to check continuity everywhere.

one thing to be careful of is getting solder between the sleeve and the inner core, that'll cause a short. trust me, i've done it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"