Thread: Superglue ok on neck inlay?

Forum Member

Superglue ok on neck inlay?

Hi,
    I have a loose trapezoid inlay on my LP...it's going to lift off pretty soon. Just wanted to check if it's reasonable to use super glue to reattach it! And if there are any other steps involved besides the obvious clean up of the piece/neck rout. Looks like it should go right back in, but you know I had to ask!
    Thanks,

~Mike

Re: Superglue ok on neck inlay?

In the various videos I've watched and websites I've read, that's exactly how it's been said to do it. Just a drop of superglue (the really thin stuff, not what you buy at the corner drugstore).
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

Sweet, thanks! I have some of the good stuff.

Forum Member

What is the good stuff, and where do you get it? And how do you know when you've got the good stuff? I thought all Superglue was (basically) the same.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

As a modeler I favor the original "Crazy Glue" which is closest in formulation to the initial Eastman 9-10 derivative. It has the best shear strength and cures the hardest of all the cyano-acrylic adhesives that I've tried. Application straight from the tube can be a messy proposition so I always ream the nipple out with a small nail and insert a one-inch length of flexible teflon tubing into the enlarged hole. It provides for better control during application, minimizing accidents. Glue seams can be sanded flush and polished once fully cured, producing a smooth translucent black appearance.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    As a modeler I favor the original "Crazy Glue" which is closest in formulation to the initial Eastman 9-10 derivative. It has the best shear strength and cures the hardest of all the cyano-acrylic adhesives that I've tried. Application straight from the tube can be a messy proposition so I always ream the nipple out with a small nail and insert a one-inch length of flexible teflon tubing into the enlarged hole. It provides for better control during application, minimizing accidents. Glue seams can be sanded flush and polished once fully cured, producing a smooth translucent black appearance.
    +1 on that... takes a little to setup but works better!

Forum Member

Mine is just one of the 'higher cost' derivatives of crazy glue, really. It's in the garage and I don't have the trade name. You can buy 'better' from StewMac, but as Phantom said, most if it is the same, it's the viscosity that varies.

Forum Member

+1 Phantomman: I have a LP Special that somebody dumped cheap aftre they squirted CG all over the top during a refret...it's pretty now.

Ouch!
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

I may refinish the LP Special (a 90's model with TOM and P90's) anyway; it's got the thick greenish yellow miscalculation and I don't think that poly is going to fade to straw/banana anytime soon. A nice cherry sounds good...anyway, when I replaced some of the missing inlays on my ES350, Titebond with rosewood dust was a good gap filler.