Thread: Output Transformer question

Output Transformer question

I am wondering about the possibility of using the output transformer from a tube Hi Fi amplifier in a guitar amplifier project. This transformer was used to drive 2 x 6L6 tubes. It looks a bit beefier than a normal guitar amp OT and I guess it has a bit more iron in the core. Any opinions? Can it be used with good results in a guitar amp?
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Re: Output Transformer question

I don't know why not, as long as you match impedance(s)
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

If it looks like it may be topping the 5.5 lb range then that HiFi may have been pushing those tubes close to the class A range!
    In Class AB1 ofr guitar you clean tones will be impressive with good tubes.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Forum Member

Yes! I´m sure that it is made to much higher specifications than the average guitar amp OT.It ought to work with EL34s too.
    Do you know the speaker impedance?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by limbe View Post
    Yes! I´m sure that it is made to much higher specifications than the average guitar amp OT.It ought to work with EL34s too.
    Do you know the speaker impedance?
    It's more important to know the primary winding impedance of this tranny. Only then can a set of output tubes be chosen.

HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

A OT that was wound with multiple outputs (4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker taps)to use two 6l6s will work with EL34s but for the best power and tone from those tubes (EL34) your choise of usable speaker taps will go from a possible 3 with the 6L6s down to one.
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

Forum Member

The reason I´m asking about the speaker impedance is to find out the impedance of the primary winding phantomman.Apply 1 volt of AC to the secondary winding with a filament transformer via a wirewound adjustable resistor or potentiometer.Measure the voltage on the primary winding.Square it.Multiply that number with the number of the speaker impedance.The number you now have is the impedance of the primary winding.You are welcome with any questions you might have.
    Limbe signing off