Thread: What Foredom rotary tool do you use?

Forum Member

What Foredom rotary tool do you use?

I figure there's gotta be some folks here who do some stuff with rotary tools, namely the Foredom rotary tools. They're kinda like the big brother to the Dremels. I really don't have any room for a real router, and I hear Dremels kind of burn out pretty quickly. A friend recommended Foredom so I picked up a used one, a CC series one that looks pretty old. It was working great at the guy's place. However I'm starting to question its use though, as it took a long time to get going a day later after it was sitting in my cold kitchen... at first it was really slow and then finally got up to speed after about 5 minutes. After about another 3 minutes of finally cutting into a pickguard, the motor made a very loud **POP** and sparks (maybe even some flame?) came out of the motor and landed everywhere. I made sure there were no fires anywhere, then I created an anti-flammable area and then started up the motor again and it sounded like it was still able to go, but I didn't want to push it and possibly have it explode on me (I have very little electrical knowledge in case my naive fears aren't a dead giveaway!). I have no idea if the motor is on the fritz or brushes simply need cleaning or what...

Anyway... this does bring up the question though as to whether I might need to get another rotary tool. So in the case that this one that I have is shot, and I need to get another one, I'm wondering: what is the purpose for all the different series of Foredoms???

I see CC, S, TX, SR and more.

The sites that sell Foredoms really don't go into much detail, they just show the different horsepower and amp readings and that's just about it. They also don't talk much about older models. I've tried finding some kind of resource that compares all the models including older models but can't find anything really.

Like I mentioned, I have acquired a CC series model which is 1/10 hp and it seems OK, but I question whether it can really cut thin sheet metal and 1/2" wood. I want to cut plastic and older vintage anodized metal pickguards, headstock shapes from paddled necks, and maybe route some areas of bodies... but not actually cut or make bodies.

Your thoughts and experience are greatly appreciated!

Re: What Foredom rotary tool do you use?

the more horsepower and amps, the more power. you may not be working at the tools max potential all the time, but it helps to get one bigger than you think you need. that way you're never close to the limit.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"