Thread: New Nocaster set

Forum Member

New Nocaster set

From another thread about Nocaster Specs below:

My new set of CS Nocaster pickups measure: bridge - 6.94kohm, neck - 7.2 kohm for reference. My TeX Mex Tele pickups the Nocasters replaced measured: bridge - 8.05kohm and neck - 5.68kohm. Liked the fat growl of the Tex Mex set but the neck pickup sounded like a weak Teisco, Dano pickup and the middle position was nothing at all to write home about. The Nocaster bridge is just about as loud as the TexMex but it's also a bit brighter and twangier. The neck sounds much more Fendery and soulful and the middle pos. is snarling and sweet, just fantastic as well as the added benefit of being noise cancelling in that position. Like Em!

Since that time I've decided the Nocaster bridge pickup is just too weak sounding. I miss the warmth and the extra drive and low end dimensionality of the Tex Mex bridge pickup actually. Although it measures 1 kohm higher it doesn't so much sound louder as it does deeper in the low end punch and sweetness on the higher strings. I've actually reinstalled the Tex Mex bridge pickup and am much happier again, this is a great pickup. As for the Nocaster bridge pickup I've called my buddy Wolfe Macleod of Wolfetone Pickups and I'm having him rewind the Nocaster pickup to 9.0kohms per his suggestions and I'll report back here as soon as I get it back. His Legend Set PAF types are just amazing in my Gibson R8. I like them even better than the much vaunted ThroBak SLE101 Ltds I have in my R7 Historic. So I know the type of magic Wolfe is capable of. Again, the aged Tex Mex Tele bridge pickup, although probably only an $18 pickup sounds totally amazing and cool!

Re: New Nocaster set

Been thinking about trading out my 52RI stock lead pup with somehting a luttle hotter

I have a handwound Abby Nocaster set and the DC resistance measurements are pretty much the opposite to yours. The bridge pup is 7.3k and the neck pup is 6.8k. I'll be installing them sometime next week, so we'll see how they balance...

New Nocaster set

has anyone compared these? is the difference even that big to hear? If I already have the regular A2P set, is it worth buying the new slash set?

Forum Member

I got my Nocaster rewind back from Wolfetone today. Wolfe called me last week to tell me he'd gotten it done and ran out of the plain enamel spool he was using while he was winding it back up. Cold measurements were something like 8.3kohms and I told him that would be fine because I really didn't want the pickup getting too dark and meaty sounding. Now it's got real dimension to the sound, a nice clear midrange, good overdrive and punch and a very sweet twanginess! It also sustains forever and gets the feedback swells that the CS shop wind could only dream about. Per my instructions the pickup winds were oriented the same so I'd get the noise cancelling middle switch position. Don't know how he did it but the pickup now has real soul where before it was cool and generic in comparison. Sounds like a great Telecaster bridge pickup should.