Thread: possible causes/fixes for Les Paul pickup switch failure

possible causes/fixes for Les Paul pickup switch failure

Hi all,

I've been wrestling with a crackling pickup selector on my new-ish Gibson Les Paul (Vintage Mahogany Studio). When it is "working," all I get is crackle when I flip the switch, but the guitar SOUNDS fine when played. Sometimes, I also get lowered volume and occasionally I'll lose one of the pickups when I'm in the middle position.

I've removed the switch and cleaned it, checked the leads on that end, and it all seems to be OK, but when I select pickups with the switch OUT OF THE SOCKET I get the same results.

Thoughts? I'm in a new city and don't have a tech I trust yet, so until I do, it's up to you guys!

Thanks!

Forum Member

Re: possible causes/fixes for Les Paul pickup switch failure

When it cuts out in the middle postion is it always the same pickup that drops out, or could it happen to eitheir?
    A lie gets half way around the world before the truth even gets a chance to get its pants on!
    Sir Winston Chuchhill

It can happen to either--It's the same when I'm in either the rhythm or lead position when the volume drops, but the other pickup has full volume.

It almost seems like it's not the switch? I'll poke around when I get home, unless someone has a fix they're confident about.

These switches can be flakey. Sometimes you can fix them. Sometimes you can't.

bummer... they're soo expensive to replace, all things considered. time to hit the 'bay if i can't fix it today...

I would try bending the contacts too see if that helps.. Good luck!

Tried that already--although it can't hurt to try again.

I also sprayed compressed air, contact cleaner, and re-soldered the leads... i guess it's time to call it what it is and buy a new one.

Sometimes you can pass a piece of paper or micromesh between the contacts, like cleaning the points on an old car. Try that before you replace it.

I'm wondering if there could be something chemically that affects these switches. I had one in a Gretsch that finally drove me to sell it. I replaced it I don't know how many times, and after a few days to a few weeks, it would do the same thing. I used different brands, bent this and that, and it still did it. It had to be something that caused it other than the switch. Quality switches don't die after 4 days time after time. But, a new switch would fix it every time. No one ever could figure that thing out. Aggravating things! Doesn't copper and other metals cause things to mess up, such as putting different type plugs on your car battery? Copper wire in the pickups cause a chemical reaction of some sort at the switch and causing oxidation to make it fail? I'm just throwing it out there.

I mean, it shouldn't... If that were the case, amplifiers using copper traces/wires/component leads and another type of metal for the remaining components would fail at alarmingly high rates.

This is a pretty low-occurring event, I think. My guess is, if it's not the switch, something is grounded improperly, but only JUST so, so that vibrations involved in removing the switch/etc cause it to be "fixed." I had that happen with several amps. Bad soldering on a ground connection (umm... yes, someone soldered to the chassis...) kept causing the amp to crackle whenever I jumped on a rhythm pickup with lots of bass. Just opening it up and looking around "fixed" it for about a week. weird.

I haven't noticed this with any of my LP's. I have a '75, '76, and an '07 R9. However, I say this because I know a few folks with Epi LP's and 'they' have the problem. It seems that in the case of the Epi, the toggle switch isn't at all the same as it is in any of my LP's. It's shorter, and the toggle part can be disassembled from the rest of the switch fairly easily. The switches in my LP's are built ruggedly. The ones in my LP's also won't fit in an Epi LP because they are slightly too long and prevent the back plate from being reattached.

So, it's 'possible' that your Studio model shares the same switch type as used in the Epi's. If so, I don't really know of a good 'fix' because getting a true LP toggle switch may not fit in the guitar.

FWIW I have a "satin finish" ES335, about an '05 I think. It has selector switch issues too. I also think my bridge pup vol pot is getting wonky.

I'm pretty sure the satin series 335 is like a studio Les Paul, or faded model SG. Same basic guitar with less cosmetic appointments, slightly crappier finish and a few crappier components.

The basic electrical components are the same on all production Gibsons whether it's a LP Std or a Faded SG and everything in between.

Is that right? I always thought mine was a little flimsy feeling so I figured they cheaped out on me.

I did put an LP-style switch on my Tele and thought it was much more solid feeling. I believe it was an Allparts switch. That's probably what I'll get when I go to replace the 335's.

I do know they change pickups around between the SG's. The standard has a special pickup for the bridge, while the special/faded series has the same model for bridge and neck that the standard has in the neck. Probably different outputs/imped between positions but same model.

The SG and 335 Gibsons use a right angled toggle switch that is considerably different than that used in an LP. From what I've seen of these right angled switches, they're not much better quality than what's in the Epi LP (but still a different construction). A friend has broken his toggle on his SG standard numerous times typing to use it as a kill switch to play some Rage Against The Machine song. He's gotten to the point that he knows if he plays the song, he'll have to replace the switch again. He's also one of those I know that has an Epi LP with the same problem.

My point was that I've never had a problem with the older ones, nor my newer made R9 (wich seems identically made to the older ones).

Forum Member

I had a Les Paul in my shop about a month ago with the same issue. He said it would crackle and sometimes would just cut out. It worked fine for me for about 20 minutes and I was about ready to put it away and then I just lightly touched the switch and it did it. I replaced the switch and the guy has been happy ever since.

LK

Yeah, the Studio VM is the "lowest" on the Gibson totem. It was between this and a G&L Legacy, and the Gibson had a much straighter, better-feeling neck. Plus, burstbucker pros are to die for, IMHO.

Anyway, I was fully aware when I bought it that it could have some "low-end-model" problems, as is the case with a lot of the disposable consumer crap we are sold these days. I've been taking VERY good care of it (esp. the finish, it's pretty thin), and it's just a bummer that after only 2 years of solid playing it's already having this problem.

/rant

I cleaned the switch again, using Don's suggestions, and no dice. I realized I did play a few gigs with a cover band in which I really slammed on it, so maybe it's my own damn fault! Either way, I'm ordering a new one today. Silence indicates it worked :).

JUst remembered I have an Epiphone LP that had some switch problems about a month after I bought it.

Took it back, they gave me a new guitar. A week later, I had the same problem, so I took it back again. This time I asked them to replace the switch, and they refused. They told me I "probably got beer in it or something". I told them I'd played guitar for 10 years, and owned a number of guitars, and had never had a switch go bad within a week. Then they told me, "well this is a $200 guitar, and you should know what you get for $200". Right, $200 for a broken guitar is fair.

I was furious and gave them hell. They eventually replaced the switch for me, and it's worked ever since. I've never bought anything from Sam Ash ever again. Stupid I know, those guys weren't like Sam Ash CEOs or anything but that pissed me off in a way I can't even describe to you.

Not to hijack my own thread, but Sam Ash sucks in the same way as Guitar Center. Those guys are there to make their commission and no other reason. Occasionally you find someone who really cares, but they're a rare breed in those megastores. I've only ever bought one thing from a big outlet like that, namely the LP that's having the switch issue. The guy who sold it to me was courteous, let me try all 4 guitars they had in stock (it was like trying on shoes, there were boxes and packing materials everywhere), and eventually let me walk out, get lunch, and come back while I made my decision. But I swear he's the only one in the entire GC corporation who would do that.

My first guitar was an Epi LP special. Piece of crap, but served me well while I learned "smoke on the water" and "purple haze." Everything I hear pegs modern Epis as entirely hit-or-miss.