Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Un-effing believable (part II)

Re: Un-effing believable (part II)

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish
    the most incredible display of rampant (and unwarranted) egotism i've ever seen in 20+ years of professional gigging!
    That says it all right there, "unwarranted ego". If she doesn't have the talent or clout to justly demand it, she doesn't deserve nor will she get more pay than the rest of her band, unless she can somehow talk them into letting her have it...or take it behind their backs.

It's jungle law. The way I see it whether you're playing solo gigs, have a band behind you, or are in a band behind someone--you have to know your price, and what you're willing to put up with for that price.

And it's never a bad idea to get shit in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    I have been there and it was decided after the gig pissed me off. OSA you are consistent and I believe you would do that, but Rickenjangle? Tell me it isn't so. To sell someone out for twenty dollars.
    Jerry
    Well, part of that was that the third guitarist was brought along without consultation from OA and I, who can more than handle the guitar duties by ourselves. Actually, now I think about it, both OA and I insisted that he get a bit more than we originally thought - but the deal was originally made with Crossfyre as a four-piece - and since it was a wedding, it was decent money that we were counting on... I do remember handing back at least a $10 and so did OA...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Is "cheese-dick" an actual type of music, or is that just anger talking?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Is "cheese-dick" an actual type of music, or is that just anger talking?

I'm not the English expert but I think he is using "Cheese-dick' as a verb or a compound verb. "Playing in a Cheese-dick cover band".

Found on the Interweb:
    "The verb is perhaps the most important part of the sentence. A verb or compound verb asserts something about the subject of the sentence and express actions, events, or states of being. The verb or compound verb is the critical element of the predicate of a sentence."

Wilko's right. If you're going to get upset about this sort of thing, talk about it up front. You made an assumption. You assumed that this was an easy-going, friendly band with everyone getting an even share.

The singer made an assumption too. She assumed it was her band and she'd hired you to back her up.

I still think the onus was on her to explain the terms of the band to you when she hired you. But there's fault on both sides here.

However, since it sounds like you weren't happy in the band anyway...
    s'all goof.

Gravity Jim

Sorry, TB.... that's not a "verb."

The junior-high-lunchroom pejorative "cheese-dick" (including all alternate spellings) always modifies a noun... in the example above, "band" is the noun, and both "cheese-dick" and "cover" make it a specific kind of band by modifying that noun. That makes both words, in this case, adjectives.

Last edited by Gravity Jim; 11-30-2009 at 08:48 AM.

I get it now.

It's a usage similar to the nouns SRV, or vintage, when repurposed as adjectives to describe tone or clothing.
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by silent j. View Post
    Sorry, TB.... that's not a "verb."

All I remember from English class was that we shot spitballs at my 10 grade teacher Mr. Pike and I had the hots for my 11 and 12th grade English teacher Miss Davis. I don't remember College English at all but I was there.

Yeah I'm not the English expert.

In this example: "That cheese-dick took more than his share of the band money" "cheese-dick" is a noun. (He could also be called lots of other things that may/may not include adjectives.

who says you never lean anything useful on this forum...

1) English lessons at no additional charge.
    2) 50 ways to criticize a HRDx
    3) New uses for the word 'dumass' (aka dumbass)

this (in addition to) the useful technical knowledge many here freely dispense / share
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Well if it was an adjective, what was cheese dick? Was it a cheese dick band playing covers, or a band playing cheese dick covers?

Reminds me of a tire store (Tires Warehouse) I used to have to pick up tires from years ago as a parts driver. The guys behind the counter were unequivocally the rudest, most foul-mouthed individuals I have ever seen perform "customer service". You guys should have seen the way they talked amongst themselves, and to their customers--even little old ladies. "Cheese dick" was probably uttered in one form of usage or another everytime I was there, along with every cuss word you can think of, and a bunch of other slurs I won't repeat here.

We affectionately called them "Tires fuckin' Warehouse"

Gravity Jim

Ha! "Come on down to Tires Fuckin' Warehouse!"

They need a jingle.

do I look like I know what I'm doing?

The "Gravitational One" is correct, cheese-dick is an adjective modifying, ultimately, the noun 'band' - and since 'cover' is in the middle, cover is modifying the noun 'band' first. From this, we can discern that a.) there is more than one type of band, b.)the type of band described here derives most of its repertoire by covering songs by other artists, c.)not all cover bands are of a suitable quality, whether in fact or in concept, and d.)this particular cover band is of the lesser-quality, in fact annoying, type known as 'cheese-dick' - a scatalogical reference to something that would ordinarily be known as 'cheesy' but for which the original describer has a greater than average amount of disdain.

Does that clear it up??

Oh, and when you use the phrase in a sentence, as Wilko has, above, "That cheese-dick took more than his share of the band money" - in this case, he is also correct in that cheese-dick is being used as the subject of the sentence...

Now, I can't remember exactly what the following usage is called, but one might also say something like "The cheese-dickishness of the lead singer extended beyond her poor singing ability to her tendency to cheat the other, and former, members of the band." I think in this case it's an adjective modifying the object "of the lead singer." Anyway, there are so many delightful ways one might use the phrase. One might even use the phrase as an adverb: She cheese-dickishly witheld an additional 20 percent of the evening's take."

Well, anyway...fun with English...

I need to get a life!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

thanks for the laughs guys! as you might have noticed, i'm feeling the need to cover my ass a little, since the threat of litigation has been brought up. let's just let this one fade away, okay?
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Litigation?! OMFG!

fade away!

Litigation? Bullshit. If she can get anything out of you in court over this thread, I'll eat my shorts.

Just edit the post where you told everyone her name...wait a minute, you never did that.

I like #16: "The person who started this website"

The usage I was first familiar with was as an adjective, the way it was used in the OP, not sure why that's not outlined on the website.

Oh and don't forget the verb usage:

"She cheese-dicked her band out of $100."

Let's suppose it's 1968, the cast of Laugh-In are having lunch.
    On the table there's be a large tray of deli meats, and another with various cheeses.
    At some point, Dan Rowan might say, "Pass the cheese, Dick."
    Elvis Costello