Thread: DOD FX-1... FIXED! & what is V control good for?

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

DOD FX-1... FIXED! & what is V control good for?

I found someone on the net who lost their engineering and now gets his income from building and occasionally repairing pedals. Let's call him Paul. Paul is an awesome fellow that I am very glad I met. Anyway, he found the fault was a faulty IC or two. He socketed all the IC's and recapped the electrolytics, and emailed me saying so far it works great.

Shipping and repairs add up to the average cost of another one off of ebay, and when I asked DOD years back they wanted $40 just to take a look at it.

So now that I will soon have a working pedal back in my hands, I remembered it also has a voltage controller. What was this used for? Would there be any use in trying to find an effect pedal this could control?
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

Re: DOD FX-1... FIXED! & what is V control good for?

That's impressive. To be able to crack open a mass-produced stomp box with a PCB and IC chips, figure out what's wrong with it, and fix it...that's something I can't fathom.

I've been afraid to build any of the more complex Build Your Own Clone kits because I feel sure, if it didn't work on the first try, I'd never be able to figure out why.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Sooo I guess no one here has used a voltage controller for controlling effects. Anyway, I noticed that he put up a nice page that documents the repair process of my pedal.

Like he says IC chips can go bad, so if you have a pedal like this and it craps out- this page should help you out.

Troubleshooting & Repairing the DOD FX-17
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

i've used the sag feature on my pedal power 2, but didn't like it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Sag can be fun with the right pedals, my Johnson DEQ/FX-100 starts sounding a little like a EH Pog or Moogerfooger... Which, if I had a use for that I'd get sag controll of some sorts. I'm not sure if the sag on your power supply and the 0-5V control function would work the same way though, but it's got me thinking now.

maybe. on the pedal power 2 the sag goes from 9v down to like 5 or 6v? i made an 18v cable (since you can run a fulldrive 2 at 18v) which plugs into 2 of the sockets on the unit, and then terminates into one point on the pedal. we then took and plugged one end into the sag so we could go from 18v and lower. i forget where we ended up but we hit a sweet spot (way above 9v) where the fulldrive sounded great.

anyways, it was fun. and just fiddle with it man, you might find something you like.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Hey! I was just looking at his website after looking at your link. He has some good refurb ideas for my Maestro Boomerang 2 Wah!

I just need to find a Hot Potz II potentiometer.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by cdw2000 View Post
    Hey! I was just looking at his website after looking at your link. He has some good refurb ideas for my Maestro Boomerang 2 Wah!

I just need to find a Hot Potz II potentiometer.
    Glad you found some pertinent info, he sure is a helpful fellow putting up a website like that.