Thread: Super tiny allen wrench for Strat saddles

Super tiny allen wrench for Strat saddles

Where might I find such a thing?

The smallest I saw at the depot was .050, and not small enough.

These saddles are on my Schecter, and look like the Am Std type rectangular saddles. The screws are really small.

My smallest wrench is nearly the size of the screws OD.

I haven't had to do anything to this guitar in years, and have no idea where my super tiny allen wrench went.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Re: Super tiny allen wrench for Strat saddles

Could it be 1mm? That's about .040".........Bill

Forum Member

Home Depot, Lowes, Wally World, or your local True Value should have Allen key sets w/ plastic molded Allen Key holders in both metric and SAE.

The Schecter would most likely be Metric unless it is one of the few US made Schecters, then they may be SAE.

I'd try the metric set first. Sometimes buying the set is the only way to get the small key you need.

Your local Sears may stock them separately if they have a good tools department. Mine only stocks the sets when you get down to the smaller sizes.

A good set in the smaller sizes should only run between $5-$10 bucks and you'll end up using the other sizes for truss rods and different bridge saddles.

One word 'o caution here, do not try and use metric on US saddles or vice versa. You'll end up with stripped saddle screws. The keys will fit snugly, especially when the Allens are new. If'n the Allen keys move the least bit in the saddle screw they are the wrong size.

Bill- I don't know.

This is a 1984 US made Schecter, though I don't know if that would rule out the use of a metric screw.

I took a look at Callaham's site, because I knew they had descriptions that broke down the bridges to their pieces.
    The screw they referenced for the saddles was #4-40.
    Mine are definitely smaller than that.

I'll check the local auto parts store for a small metric set.

I hadn't though of Sears. Jeeze.
    The one in Milford's got a pretty nice tool dept.

I don't mind getting a new set. It just that the sets I saw at the depot didn't go small enough (not even just eye balling them) , SAE or Metric.

Thanks, guys!
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

When I realized my Squier Strat didn't come with a wrench for the truss rod, I snagged a metric Allen set at Ace Hardware. Brand name is Eklind, and it's kind of like a pocket knife, with seven different-size wrenches folding out from a rubberized grip. I don't know if the exact set I've got would be of use with your Schecter, though; the smallest wrench is 1.5mm. It's got wrenches that perfectly fit the truss rod nut and bridge saddles in my Squier, though...so maybe a metric set with a smaller minimum size is what you need to look for?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I'm surprised that it's smaller than .050". I'll bet it's 1mm.

Forum Member

The set I picked came from a True Value, but I've seen them someplace else and just can't remember where.

They come in a red hard plastic holder, the longest key is about 3" and the smallest size is 1mm follwed by 1.25 and 1.5.

Being a US Schecter it'll depend on where they sourced their parts from if'n it's SAE or not. But I'd venture a guess that if the screws aren't 4/40 then it's metric.

From what I've seen on most late model guitars the hardware is pretty much standard metric or SAE. I don't think there are a lot of different manufacturers making the smaller stuff like saddles.

The pre-mid 60s off brand guitars is where the hardware gets really challenging.

I'll report back.

Thinking about this guitar now, I have no idea if it's US made or not. Getting info from the modern day Shecter company is next to impossible.
    This is an old Anderson era Knopfler style Strat copy.
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

My trusty McMaster-Carr catalog tells me the 4-40 screw should be a .050" wrench (as would a 3-48). On the metric side, a M2 will use a 0.9mm wrench, a M2.5 will use a 1.3mm wrench and a 3mm will use a 1.5mm wrench (which would be bigger than .050"). M2.5 is a close match to a 4-40 and 1.3mm = .051" which would mean the .050" wrench would fit very slightly loose. I don't see a 1.0mm wrench listed for any set screws.

Here's a link to the McMaster-Carr catalog page for small metric Allen keys. The sets are a few pages back.....Bill

Forum Member

I couldn't find my metric set (the smallest two form both sets are in my guitar drawyer) , but the SAE sets' smallest key is .050 followed by the next step up of 1/16".

The metric set may well be .9 and 1.3. I was going by memory, which ain't what it used to be.

Both set are the Great Neck brand.

Forum Member

I use a precision Torx screwdriver I got at Home Depot for another task, but the interchangeable bits work perfectly with the small Allen head screws in the Strat bridge. The screwdriver is also much easier to use than the tiny Allen wrenches I had used previously. Here is a link for your evaluation:

Husky HD-74502 T

The swivel handle and hex body also allows for very measurable and repeatable adjustments.

do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago: lots of allen wrenches, but none of them fit my bridge saddles. I had tried a couple of sets very similar to what's been posted above, but none of the wrenches were the proper size.

In the end, I removed a screw from the bridge, and took it with me to a local tool store (not a hardware store). They found the proper size allen wrench, as a single -- not part of a set, in less than a minute.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

This may come as a disappointment, but I pulled a McGyver, and adjusted the saddles with a small jeweler's screwdriver.

It was small enough to easily grab the corners of the hex.
    I had to dab some WD40 to loosen the rust on a couple of screws, but most turned easily.

I will still get a set of small wrenches, or a couple of tiny loose ones.
    My smallest metric is 1.5 mm.
    Elvis Costello