Thread: Any MIM 50's Tele Owners Here?

Forum Member

Any MIM 50's Tele Owners Here?

I have my eye on one right now. What do y'all think of them?

Cheers,
    Butch:nelson
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 08-02-2002 at 05:10 AM.

I'm down!

I have one... it's been modded like crazy though. I wanted a "bastard" Keith Richards-hummer-in-the-neck-type Tele, so i routed it & and dropped a 7.5k Fralin hummer in the neck pos., & put a 7.8k staggered Fralin in the bridge; then topped it all off with a black pickguard. BTW- I think the black guard looks great against the blonde body.

With 5 strings, and tuned to open G, this thing is too fucking cool!

There is only 1 thing that i don't like about it though -the edge of my palm is catching on the set screws of the (brass) bridge saddles, and i'm scratiching & cutting-up my hand. Now i'm thinking of putting a standard/modern type of bridge assembly on it (just like Keef), and hopefully that problem will go away.

Last edited by Tonesnob; 07-30-2002 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member
    Hey man,

If I get this one I'm going to mod it as well. I have a Jerry Donahue pickup I'm going to put in the bridge position and a Texas Special Strat pickup to put in the middle along with a mini-humbucker for the neck. I'll use the standard 3-way switch and install another pot for a blender for the middle pickup.

:nelson Butch:bigal
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 07-30-2002 at 10:43 AM.

I HAD a Dual-Concentric pot in there once, acting as a tone pot that gave me seperate controls for both pickups, BUT the "tinkerer" inside of me had to dig-in & screw with things.

Now my Keef Tele is back to a single master tone control.

Dual-Concentric Control Pots:
    http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel...talog/sku.html

Last edited by Tonesnob; 07-30-2002 at 11:22 AM.

I've got one as well Butch, and the one thing I intend to mod soon is the pups. I'm thinking of a NoCaster CS bridge and an American Vintage Tele neck. I've heard that this is a great combo for blues, and that's just what I'm after. Other than the pups, I'm really happy with the guitar. I did change the bridge to an American Vintage RI bridge though. Like Tonesnob, I found it cut my hand. Apparently, that is a common complaint about the MIMs. I have an MIM Strat that has the same problem.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    I just hot-rodded a Mex Tele a couple of weeks ago for one of the local Hot-Shots. Stock neck pup, 57/62 RI middle, Little 59 in the bridge, 5 way blade, and a mini toggle between the tone and volume knob for the dual sound thang on the Little 59. This guitar get's some pretty bitchin tones now. I almost didn't want to give it back. LOL!

Stroker!

Forum Member
    I have one and I love it! Didn't care for the pups so i poped in some old ones I had and that's all it took. An excellent Tele that beats the snot out of the MIJ ones. Mine is nicer in tone, looks and playability than my pals 85 USA Reissue. WAY NICER!
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Forum Member
    I have two of the "Classic Series" 50's Teles...I also changed out the pups, and then with a little tweaking, I fought it to be right up there with my 52RI.

Forum Member

"Only her hairdresser knows for sure!"

Over in the "OFF TOPIC AREA", the "Just Posted at FDF!!!" thread has mercifully evolved into a MIM vs MIJ/CIJ banter. A number of TFFers are praising the MIM Classic Series gits, which includes Teles, obviously. I have only owned the '72 Tele Custom from this line. That axe didn't impress me enough to prevent its sale. The CIJ '72 TC I had owned previously was slightly better made, IMO...but that's gone, too.

Overall, I've been less than impressed with the MIMs I've owned and played. I also find it interesting that the overwhelming majority of happy MIM owners have severely modded their gits. To my thinking, that's like saying, "Hey, I love my little brunette gal...just as long as she keeps a gallon of peroxide in her hair!". ;)

Forum Member
    MIJ vs CIJ vs MIM - that's a big subject at the TDPRI.

Though i sometimes with my MIM 50's Tele was a little lighter, i think it's going to be a great "beater" guitar, and one i won't have to worry about either.

BTW- I'm quite sure it will out-live ME!
    ~Gregory

A buddy and I did an A/B with my MIM and his AV '52 RI. One of the interesting things we found was that the neck on my Classic MIM was actually chunkier than his AV was. Has anyone else found this? I just was wondering if all the MIM Classic 50s Teles had huge necks like mine does.

Forum Member

I Got One Coming

I have a $ 700 check coming to me. When it comes, I'm going to get a MIM 50's Tele in white blonde. I have seen them have different types of white blonde though. I've seen them go from almost transparent to almost opaque white. The one I get will be as transparent as I can find.

I'm going to put a white MOTO pickgaurd on it and replace the stock pickups with Fender Texas Specials. I really like the rawness and grit those pickups have; yet they still retain the twang.

This one's nice...

-Butch:nelson
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 08-08-2002 at 05:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Big News,

The guy I sold my Nashville B-Bender Tele to has agreed to sell it back to me.

Woohoo!!!:wav :wav

I guess that means I won't be getting the '50s model after all...:nelson