Thread: Korg Pitchjack in effects loop?

Korg Pitchjack in effects loop?

I asked this on another forum, and so far apparently no one has an answer. I may just get one and see if it works

Can you use one of these in the out of an effects loop live? Or does it mess up the loop to only have the out live? What about in input two of a Fender type amp? Seems like this could be an inexpensive solution to true bypass if my idea works.

Re: Korg Pitchjack in effects loop?

I guess it would depend on how the amp worked with its effects loop. I think with most amps, if you plug into the loop out, it's expecting input on the loop in. It won't send signal directly from pre-amp to power amp anymore.
    s'all goof.

Plugging it into the effects loop nor the input is not going to work.

You said in your post that "Seems like this could be an inexpensive solution to true bypass if my idea works."

What you are trying to do actually doesn't make sense. Why not just get a Korg Pitchblack pedal instead if you want true bypass?

I don't know that it wouldn't work, but from the represented purpose of the device on the website, it's going to be looking for an extremely small input volume (direct from the guitar or bass), and plugging it into the effects loop output of an amp will expose it to significantly higher volume (voltages) than it would see normally.

I will probably get a pitchblack, but since my kids (I think) just managed to lose my 100+ dollar tuner that I had, I was hoping for a cheaper fix for a couple years. Mesotech, I hadn't even considered that. I was thinking of might not get enough signal.

I stand corrected. The tuner might work if you plug it into the send portion of the effects loop. And although you don't have the ability to mute the guitar when you're tuning, you can use the standby switch, that is if your amp has it.

Aside from possibly having to attenuate the level prior to going into the PitchJack, this device would work perfectly in my home-made amp and, I would suspect, most other amps with an effects loop and master volume control.

I based my effects loop off the design used in the Fender Pro Reverb, so should be pretty standard. Plugging into the SEND output should not break the pre-amp to power amp connection. Most effect loops only break this connection when you plug into the RETURN jack.

I expect, as in my amp, most Master Volumes are after the effects loop so could be used to mute the amp.

Do you have a specific amp you plan to use? I can look up the schematic and easily tell you yay or nay on whether it would work for your particular amp.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

My plan is to use it with a DeVille that I leave at church. Much easier to replace than my Super Reverb if something happens to it.

I checked out the schematic. The good news is that the SEND (Pre-amp Out) is not switched and always has signal. It's also buffered from the main channel so any impedance load from the tuner will have no effect on the sound.

The bad news is that the Master Volume is in the signal chain before the Pre-amp out which means that you can't use it to completely mute the amp (it will mute the output to the tuner as well). You can use it to reduce the level to the tuner though, so it's not all bad.
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Well, I ordered some crap today, and went ahead and got one. I'll report how it works out. Worst case is I have to unplug my guitar like I always did.

Forum Member

Are there issues with just plugging it into Input 2 of the amp? Would that adversely affect the guitar signal going into the amp?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Steve Dallman has this to say:

"If you have an effects loop, just run a cord from the send to the input of the tuner. That will work great and it won't put anything actually in the loop. You can ignore the return.

In most amps, the send doesn't break the circuit in the signal path in the amp. The return jack does that. So the send can be used to feed a tuner.

Input two will put your guitar and the tuner through a 68k resistor, which acts as a mixer. The tuner will have 136k between the guitar and the input of the mixer, which may lower signal level enough to adversely affect the operation of the tuner. "

I will report what it does when it comes in. I'm really hoping that it will work this way.

If it works well, I may get one for my amp.

OK. Finally got it today. It's a pretty cool little tuner with a LED flashlight in one end, which could be handy. Works fine plugged into any instrument of course. Works GREAT plugged into input 2 on my Super Reverb with no volume loss. Works with volume completely turned down on the amp also. I will have to wait till Sunday to report on the effects loop method, but I don't see any reason that won't work. It makes a very mild thump when you turn it off plugged into input 2. I would suggest you turn the amp down to tune. I don't notice any noise with it on, but only have it at bedroom volumes right now. So far, this looks to be a winner of a combination.