Thread: Mercury Magnetics

Mercury Magnetics

Does Mercury Magnetics ironware make much difference to an amp's tone?
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Re: Mercury Magnetics

Depends on what you start with and the amp. The output transformer is really the only direct sound enhancement.

However, I have been using Allen's Heyboer transformers in recent builds and I am thoroughly impressed. They are made in USA and priced very well. My Vibroverb clone and new little Tweed Surprise has the Allen iron. VERY good stuff.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Reason for asking. I've been thinking about building another amp from scratch and in a moment of madness I bought a DRRI replacement output transformer, so I guess it's gonna be a DRRI clone. I paid 30 GBP. Much cheaper than the Mercury Magnetics offering and I wondered if there would be a significant difference in quality/tone.

Henry Ford

Forum Member

If you want the best tone, then get Heyboer to wind you a DR OT that is interleaved as none of the replacment DRs are.
    It will make your money clip a little thinner, but it will surly put a smile on your face!

Thanks for the info guys. Wish I'd known about Heyboer stuff before I bought the stock replacement transformer. I'll look at Heyboer for the rest of the iron and maybe swap the OT later.

Henry Ford

Hey Pete, let me know if you're getting Heyboer for the rest, I might be interested in something and we could split the shipping from the states.

I'll keep that in mind Tommy. I was planning to just buy all the expensive stuff a bit at a time so won't notice. Haven't told her yet about my plans for another amp. This will be a long time project. It might just get started in earnest round about the time you graduate from Sandhurst.
    Do they ship to Afganistan??

Henry Ford

Ha ha, ok! Remember it's free in the UK to post to BFPO postboxes in operational areas!
    Was up your way yesterday doing some gardening actually.

Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toneseeker View Post
    I'll keep that in mind Tommy. I was planning to just buy all the expensive stuff a bit at a time so won't notice. Haven't told her yet about my plans for another amp. This will be a long time project. It might just get started in earnest round about the time you graduate from Sandhurst.
    Do they ship to Afganistan??
    Funny. When I was collecting parts for my 5F4 build I talking to wife about hysteresis, flux density and coupling in transformers and that there was this company, Mercury Magnetics, that made excellent transformers for amps ....etc," Must have caught her at the right time as she told me I deserved to buy what I wanted for my project. In 5 minutes I had a PT, choke and OT on order.

Sounds great!

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.