Thread: Questions about SFDR cosmetical differences

Forum Member

Questions about SFDR cosmetical differences

Hi,

I bought an unusual looking 1979 ptp SFDR. Serial Nr is F080105. While looking decent and clean , it is clearly an old amp, and there is not really any reason to believe as it would be some kind of fake Fender, just some questions, maybe some of you can help?

It has BF style panel (btw, there is written "Deluxe Reverb", not "Deluxe reverb II" or "Deluxe reverb Amp") , tailed Fender logo (BF style?) and the upper back panel of this shape , not that. I have read and been told that in the end of SF line, Fender meanwhile ran out of SF cosmetics components and used different looks components, such as BF style face panels, etc. Has anybody got any information to help to find anwers to my questions ?

Rgds, Telbert
    Last edited by telbert twang; 06-30-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Questions about SFDR cosmetical differences

...looks to me that there have been some others manufactured with the identical appearance http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/1243902149.html ...

In 80 and 81, Fender returned to the BF style faceplate of the 60s. Far as I know, they kept the tailless logo. Could be that they started this in 79, but i don't know for sure.
    My 74 DR has a black reissue faceplate and a long-tailed logo on it. I have the original silver face plate, but not the logo. Inside it is still a SFDR.
    Then Play On

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

What are your questions?

The amp is what it is -- a late Deluxe Reverb in serviceable condition and reasonable cosmetic shape. In the final year or two of the production run, FMI offered the BF-style cosmetics as an option and made them the de facto standard for the final year before the amp was discontinued.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

My questions were what they were, anyway - here-s the answer(s) I have found by now :-) :

It appears to be (by both the S/N and also the looks) a ´1980 , not 1979. The ´80 ones had the "F0..." for S/N beginning. Also the upper back panel is different from the others - straight, no slant "wings" on ends. It is the last real DR before the Riveras, and these BF style panel ones seem to be pretty rare, many people do not know that these exist. The only thing that seems not to match, is the real BF/early SF "tailed" Fender logo (which is even nicer than the one which should stay there :-) ) ...

Just got it working (replaced the power cord socket yesterday), what a killer tone! Everything is perfect and the reverb is enormous. Also quite touch sensitive, very nice. Desert island amp!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    What are your questions?

The amp is what it is -- a late Deluxe Reverb in serviceable condition and reasonable cosmetic shape. In the final year or two of the production run, FMI offered the BF-style cosmetics as an option and made them the de facto standard for the final year before the amp was discontinued.

Well my all-original non-reverb '80 SF Princeton has that same style back panel if that's any help.

Forum Member

Many thanks to all af you for educating comments - I´ve got the things pretty clear now

(I´m not much ´at home´ with DR and it´s detailed history yet , that´s why I asked those perhaps weird questions)

Fantastic amp though - one of these amps which you want to turn on and on after every while :-)

Best Regards,
    telbert

Quote Originally Posted by telbert twang View Post
    Hi,
    I bought an unusual looking 1979 ptp SFDR. Serial Nr is F080105. While looking decent and clean , it is clearly an old amp, and there is not really any reason to believe as it would be some kind of fake Fender, just some questions, maybe some of you can help?
    It has BF style panel (btw, there is written "Deluxe Reverb", not "Deluxe reverb II" or "Deluxe reverb Amp") , tailed Fender logo (BF style?) and the upper back panel of this shape , not that. I have read and been told that in the end of SF line, Fender meanwhile ran out of SF cosmetics components and used different looks components, such as BF style face panels, etc. Has anybody got any information to help to find anwers to my questions ?
    Rgds, Telbert

I've got seven or eight Fender rigs -- some re-issues, mostly vintage.

This modded DRRI has really become my "go-to" amp for most of what I currently do......

It would definitely make that journey with me to the proverbial tropical isle, along with my ash-bodied hardtail.

Forum Member

Mr phantomman,

Why you prefer the DRRI to the others ? Because of the mod(s) (what would they be if i may ask?) or you just do not want to go to road with a collectible one ?

rgds,
    tt

The amp really delivers the tones I favor and it's the loudest 22-watt amp on the planet with the upgraded speaker.

As for mods, I put the chassis into a taller cab to accommodate a 15-inch speaker -- a 40+ year-old JBL D130F with 11˝ lbs of Alnico magnet. With an SPL of 101 dB and 177 square inches of cone area (a 12" driver is 112 square inches) this speaker is moving substantially more air than a stock DR. I had the reverb and tremolo configured to operate on both channels and the preamp re-wired so both channels hit the phase inverter "in phase" (required on a DR for slaving both channels simultaneously). I replaced the output tranny with one that has dual secondary taps (4Ω and 8Ω) so I can safely add an additional 8Ω load in parallel when the mood strikes me.

Everything I've got is stage-worthy but right now the DR is getting the job done......and it's a helluva lot easier on my roadie's back.

Forum Member

wow, a monster!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    This modded DRRI has really become my "go-to" amp for most of what I currently do...
    GAH!!! There it is again!!! I love that amp...sooo purdy.

I finally have my cab on hand that's inspired by this one, so it won't be long until I join the Blonde BF Amp With 15" Speaker Club.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I thought you might be needing a "fix", TJ......

Forum Member

Rog, having seen that amp-room photo a few times now, I have to ask: What's that on the wall in the upper right-hand corner of the picture? Looks like a little, painted statue on a wooden plaque?

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Rog, having seen that amp-room photo a few times now, I have to ask: What's that on the wall in the upper right-hand corner of the picture? Looks like a little, painted statue on a wooden plaque?
    It's a 12-inch figurine on a wall sconce/shelf, depicting a USAAF fighter pilot from WWII. He's since been "transferred" to my other toy room.

Forum Member

Very cool. I thought it looked like he was wearing a 'chute and a life vest!

You have *another* toy room?!

Yeah but it's substantially smaller than the "music room". It doubles as my work shop and studio where I build my models, clean & repair my firearms, and watch quality TV whenever the goes on a "chick-flick jihad".