Thread: Marshall score

Marshall score

Yeah. It's like 30 years since last time I had a Marshall nut I just scored a 2104 JMP Master Volume Lead Mark 2, 50W 2x12" combo of 1980 vintage.

I bought it though I think it is a bit "stiff" sounding. Though I haven't played it long myself, it made that same impression when I first head my band-mate play it for 2-3 hours. I think I'll need an attenuator to bring it's volume down a bit and probably need to experiment with overdrive pedals (I have an assortment of cheapos). Any advice in this regard or generally? Like - should I vacuum the interior? he he

Thanks in advance!

Re: Marshall score

Cool deal!
    Is it due for a recap?

I think it's cool What's a recap? Sorry, but I'm totally blank here!

You'll get the hang of the "sweet spot" with the master volume and bit of volume, they sound real good at a gig.

Thanks. I hear i my in-ear monitor, that cutting a couple of "bright kondensators" will soften it. I am gathering courage to do that :)

I wouldn't trust anything heard in an in-ear monitor, and certainly wouldn't modify an amp to make it sound good in one.

WTF.

Sorry - what I meant was that I am hearing voices. These tell me that cutting those kondensator will be GOOD!

(The in ear monitors was a joke build on a word play in my native tounge that I thought worked in english as well, sorry.) ((I don't really hear voices either ;) ))

whew...

Kondensators are called Capacitors over here.

A "cap job" is having the amp serviced and aging electrolytic capacitors replaced so they don't go bad and kill the amp.

changing caps in the tone stack for different "voicing" is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    whew...

Kondensators are called Capacitors over here.

A "cap job" is having the amp serviced and aging electrolytic capacitors replaced so they don't go bad and kill the amp.

changing caps in the tone stack for different "voicing" is something different.
    Yep. Replace the filter capacitors, if they haven't been already - your tech will know what we're talking about. The tech should also check the tubes and the bias. If the tubes are shot, if they're crummy tubes, or if they're biased cold, any of that can cause a 'stiff' feeling amp.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

The 2104 is the combo version of the 2204 - probably one the better amps Marshall ever built - I had 1987 and 2204 heads in the early eighties - the 2204 was by far and away the better of the two - (although you can tweak the 1987 back towards a JTM-45 and it'll sound a lot better)... if it hasn't been re-capped it's way over-due and yer askin' for trouble everytime you power it up - it's worth decent coin (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise) so a little preventitive maintainance is prudent - they were originally fitted with 6550's (which lasted years!!) though they will be long in the the tooth by now and I've come across loads of 'em that have fitted EL34's... (meeh - mawhh... wrong answer!!!)... so unless you've got the coin to pay for real-deal NOS 6550's new production =C='s are probably your best bet for tone followed by Tung-Sol's for longevity... the Tung-Sol's are slightly more expensive bottles (just like everything else coming out of New Sensor these days - thanks Mike... I thought you were supposed to be one of the good guys!!! We are no doubt paying for some b*stard NS board member's Ferrari)... it's just a drag you can't find these bad boys in the ex-Soviet military market - if they were out there I'd have a pair to sell you!! The point is - it's a good amp - one of the last decent things to come out of the Marshall factory - it's worth looking after - even if yer probably in the wrong forum to discuss it
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

TFF Stage Crew

Cool score!

The UPS truck just arrived with my Marshall score a couple hours ago--a 1987 Jubilee (2550). It works great--nothing damaged in transit thankfully. Tomorrow I'll come home from work a little early before the rest of the fam gets here and wind it up a bit.

Right now I must say I can't believe how great the clean tone is--extremely warm, three dimensional but still somehow "glassy." Love it.

Excellent!

A friend has a 2210. That has got a crappy, crappy clean tone.

The dirt bleeds through into the clean channel.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

I'll see if I can record a snippet or two tomorrow.

The only weird thing so far is that when I turned it to standby the sound remained for about 15 seconds, slowly dying into a quiet fizz. Then when I turned it off--it still made the same kind of sounds! Again, after about 20 seconds the sound got quieter until it was actually gone.

Odd...

I'll be taking it in for new filter caps & retube (although the JJs look pretty new, actually) and I'll ask them about it then.

Jeez, there's a lot of amp threads here :) Page 3 for heavens sake!

Anyway I need to tell ya all that my combo have been checked, modded and totally retubed (plus the impedance selector set to 8 instead of 16 Ohms LOL). One NOS tube and an assortment of others makes the whole thing sounds.. FREAKING GREAT!! It has Celestion ROLAs and Drake transformators FWIW and with the "Super Lead" and other mods the whole package sound glorious so far. I still need to take it to the rehearsal room and really turn it up plus experiment with pedals, but it sure is promising. To be able to turn the knobs without thinking that a 747 emergency landed on the roof is one thing, but the downright illegally delicious cleans are to DIE FOR! I do get the urge to run out and get a closed back cab though.

Ahh.. Feel better now!

50 watts and 4 12's is a thing of beauty.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I had two of those for awhile, both around 1980 vintage; got them cheap in the mid-90's, sold one to a friend (for cheap), and kept one for a few years. They are great sounding amps...and I'm not really a Marshall guy. Have fun...

Great score! Even though it's not a Fender, you're forgiven (speaking from the viewpoint of someone else who also bought a Marshall). You're going to love that amp, but it'll take a little getting used to if you've been accustomed to using Fenders for some time.

I've got my windows open, crank it up... I wanna hear it!
    POO DAT!!!

Thanks guys. I just had to let it out. Maybe ai'll be able to record a few phrases that'll do it justice later :)