Thread: ´62 Jazzmaster?

´62 Jazzmaster?

Is 3400 US bux to much for a ´62 Jazzmaster? Refinished Burgundymist metallic with matching headstrock. I´m thinking of offer him 2500, is that realistic? A strat or a tele from that era would catch 3 times those money, at least. Is it this modell or the Jaguar that has a crapy bridge? Can´t remember, seldom see one of those beauties anymore!

Re: ´62 Jazzmaster?

Original case to!

I'm not an expert on vintage prices so hopefully someone else will chime in. I do know that they bring significantly less money than Strats or Tele's though, which is not necessarily justified but its a supply/demand kind of thing I guess. I believe both the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar have the same bridge. I couldn't tell you first hand if it's "crappy", but I suspect that the bridge will have issues only if you do some heavy-handed playing, which IMHO, is not what this guitar is about. I've got a '62 reissue on layaway and it's coming home soon. I did not perceive any issues with the bridge when I tried it out in the store.

A recent perusal of the ads in Vintage Guitar magazine revealed that dealers are asking upwards of $6000-$8000 for original finish Jazzmasters of that vintage depending on rarity of color and condition. That would make a refinned model for $3200 not seem unreasonable but there are several negotiating points.

It would depend on
    • the overall condition,
    • the quality of the refin (does it look professional or like barn paint applied with a broom),
    • was the headstock re-shot when the body was done or is it original with the original Logo,
    • are the electronics working
    • are the electronics original
    • was the hardware changed
    • are the parts original to this guitar or was it pieced together from several guitars
    • is the original case included (should be brown for 1962)
    • original frets

The bridge on the Jazzmaster and Jaguars are not a problem if you use heavier strings like an 11-49 set and put a small shim in the neck pocket to adjust the neck angle so there's more of a break over the bridge.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I´ve talked to the seller and he says Clive Brown (he says Clive brown is one of the worlds best refinisher) refinished the Jazzmaster including the headstock and new logo! One or maybe both Pups rewounded by Lundgren pickups, scratchplate, hardwhare and electronics all original! I´m starting to hesitate, but maybe it´s a real player. Really want a 50:s or 60:s Fender but there is always an issue to them or they cost a lifetime of income!

Quote Originally Posted by holmis63 View Post
    One or maybe both Pups rewounded by Lundgren pickups, scratchplate, hardwhare and electronics all original!
    Pickups rewound? I don't like that.

O

Too many changes,IMHO.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music