Thread: So what the heck is a "G7alt"?

TFF Stage Crew

So what the heck is a "G7alt"?

I'm jamming along w/a practice track & I run across a chord, a G7alt. I KNOW what a Gaug is & all the susses & stuff. But I've never heard of an "alt". It stands for altered, but that doesn't help much.
    Anyone got a good G7alt to loan me?
    Cm7////
    Dm7b5//
    G7alt//

Re: So what the heck is a "G7alt"?

Okay, I typed about a dozen answers and erased each one. I don't have a freaking clue what an "alt" chord is either.
    s'all goof.

alt is what people who submit chords charts online use when they know the chord is altered but either can't spell the real chord, or don't know what it's called.

I seem to remember most "alt" chords are chords with changes that don't include the ubiquitous "3rd--minor" or "7th" that is required for 9th, 11th, etc.

Yours being a G7 alt makes it tough for me. Many "alt" chords that I've found turn out to be add 9, add 4 or similar chord.

From randomchord.com

The 'altered' 7th is a dominant 7th chord with an 'altered' (i.e. flattened or sharpened) 5 and 9:

1-3-b5(or #5)-b7-b9(or #9)

It is used as an alternative to a normal 7 chord, especially when the chord is due to resolve to a minor chord afterwards.

Standard scale choice

The 'altered' scale is also called 'super locrian' by rock types, while jazz players like to call it the 'diminished-whole-tone' because the first half is from a diminished scale, and the second half from a whole-tone scale:

1 b2 #2 3 b5 #5 b7

Hip options

There are lots of cool-sounding arpeggios contained in this scale which can make some hip sounds. For example, you could try alternating the major triad built on the root with the major triad built on the b5.

Another common trick is to play m(Maj7) arpeggios built on the note a semitone above the root. Art Pepper liked to do this.

If pentatonics are your thing, you could also try playing the "altered pentatonic" over this. That's the minor pentatonic based a semitone about the root of the chord, but with the fifth note of the the pentatonic raised by a semitone to function as the chord's root.
    POO DAT!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Yeah, what Meso said. My step-dad was a big-time jazz cat - played with all the giants. He once told me that if you see 'alt' it means go ahead and substitute any form of the notated chord you want that fits - and that you would be looked at sideways if you played it straight when 'alt' appeared, LOL. Poor guy, actually had illusions that I would somehow someday be sight playing in a big swing band like him. RIP jazz man.

TFF Stage Crew

It's a nice story but unfortunately also mostly wrong. "Alt" in standard jazz nomenclature means raising the 5th and the 9th. I.e., G7#5#9 or G7aug#9.

(Not so standard is that sometimes the # sign is used and sometimes the + sign. Means the same thing).

If you sit on a jazz gig and "play anything you want" when it says G7alt you won't be asked back.

That said, the wiki article about playing any version of the altered 5th or 9th isn't so far off. I.e., if you are the only comping instrument, I think you could go with most any alteration so long as there is NOT a natural 5th or 9th in the chord. However, if you are on a gig with another comping instrument (piano, e.g.), I'd definitely stick with #5#9.

BTW, there are also "rules" as to when you'd raise the ninth versus lowering the ninth. Generally speaking you'd always want to alter the dominant chord with a flatted 9th when you're going to a minor tonic chord. #9s go great into other dominant chords or major-ish tonic chords. That's definitely not a "hard and fast" rule, just most common by practice. Listen to Miles, Coltrane, etc., and that's what you'll hear.

Uh, who are you. Did you play w/ Dizzy, Benny, Tommy & Jimmy D., Vaughn Monroe.? My step-dad did and he made a good living at it. If he said that was the way it was back then, then that was the way it was.

TFF Stage Crew

Gris, sorry you get so upset when someone questions your opinion. Jazz nomenclature is open to a wide variety of opinion because it was an art form long before it was the subject of professional education.

Somebody asked a question and I answered them based on my own personal education and experience in the genre.

To answer your question, I'm a guy with a degree in Jazz performance and someone who has played with nearly every big name in Jazz who was still alive at the time I went to college, because they all came and did clinics and master classes. I also make a good chunk of money at performing.

You are welcome not to believe me. Since you yourself don't play Jazz gigs--it won't do you any harm at all.
    Last edited by pc; 03-03-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Removed mean-spirited retort.

TFF Stage Crew

So...
    where do I put my fingers?

I gotta go with pc. I was a trumpet player in a j-band. I didn't play a lot of chords, he,he, but I was pretty tight with my buds.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My step dad was the best trumpet player I ever saw. He personally introduced me to Dizzie. he played trumpet with Dizzie when Dizzie was a PIANO player. He was the 'rough man' (if you jazz giants even know what that means) for Vaughn, Dorsey Bros. and Lunsford. My mom has scores of glossies of him in his duds behind his letter stand (if you guys know what that means). Show a little f*-ing respect. What he told me is the same thing PC said (any form that FITS). I don't understand why some guys have to p*ss all over folks for no reason. Apology accepted. Let's move on. And yeah, your right, I ain't no jazz player that's for sure, LOL. But mess with the memory of my dad and I'll mess with you. If only you were standing in front of me know - or maybe not.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    My step dad was the best trumpet player I ever saw. He personally introduced me to Dizzie. he played trumpet with Dizzie when Dizzie was a PIANO player. He was the 'rough man' (if you jazz giants even know what that means) for Vaughn, Dorsey Bros. and Lunsford. My mom has scores of glossies of him in his duds behind his letter stand (if you guys know what that means). Show a little f*-ing respect. What he told me is the same thing PC said (any form that FITS). I don't understand why some guys have to p*ss all over folks for no reason. Apology accepted. Let's move on. And yeah, your right, I ain't no jazz player that's for sure, LOL. But mess with the memory of my dad and I'll mess with you. If only you were standing in front of me know - or maybe not.

Gris, you're an attorney. Have a little respect for yourself and your profession and try not to tell me "if only you were standing in front of me know [sic]". That demeans us both. If you were standing in front of me and decided to throw a swing, I'd own your house and you'd be in jail. Please, cowboy.

Your argument is completely unfounded. Nobody took a shot at your step dad. You gave advice on a topic and didn't get it quite correct. I don't care where you got the info, it wasn't right. Your step-dad sounds awesome and based on what you've said about his life, I'm quite envious.

This was never about your step-dad, it was about a stupid chord for heaven's sake.

You may also want to spell "Dizzy" right if you mean to invoke your meeting with him as some sort of cache.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    So...
    where do I put my fingers?

One suggestion if your other chords on this tune either open or otherwise near the nut:

First finger - D-string, third fret (F)
    Second finger - G-string, fourth fret (B)
    Third finger - D-string, fourth fret (D sharp)
    Fourth finger - high E-string, sixth fret (Bb)

(When I play this chord I usually barre the two notes at the fourth fret with my second finger. It's easier for me to get the pinky reach that way. YMMV)