Thread: How NOT to relic a neck.

Forum Member

How NOT to relic a neck.

Stupid. I took a perfectly good Allparts Tele neck, that was useless to me cause the tint was too yellow for anything I would consider assembling, then I got the Dremel out and sanded the crap out of it-took me all of 30 minutes includeing the "finishing " steel wool sanding. I scraped up -er, "reliced " the frets pretty good.. Heres the result, which is pretty pathetic, considering I ruined the neck
    I was thinking that it was a sacrifice cause I had no idea what to look for in a neck to match my Relic Strat project in the picture.
    Now I have a fair idea that what I want is a medium amber tint , Reliced to show a believeable wear pattern,not over the top, and consistant with the" age "of the body.
    I would imaging given the relic craze, Ill post this on ebay under "heavey relic" , being upfront that its a amateur project, and I could maybe get my marginal investment back out of it.
    Im presenting the pictures of the Strat; I know its a Tele neck, bbut thats my only relic body to contrast it to.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

TFF Stage Crew

Re: How NOT to relic a neck.

It's fixable. All you need to do is yank the frets out, sand the fingerboard w/a radiused sanding block, strip it completely & re-install frets, dress them, & finally finish the neck!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: How NOT to relic a neck.

Probably no need to re-radius. I'd just re-spray it and dress the frets.