Thread: Relicing Chrome Hardware?

Forum Member

Relicing Chrome Hardware?

I was looking inot reliced hardware for my Relic Project Telecaster. I was wondering how these folks take a new Tele bridge and get it to rust and look old liek this? I mean, I could bury my bridge ofr 6 months or something, but I do not want to wait.There must be a process for againg a new chrome plated bridge and getting it to lok llike it has a patina and is slighlly rusted /pitted?;
    Last edited by jerryjg; 01-27-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Re: Relicing Chrome Hardware?

The better results I've seen came from light brushing of the chrome with a wire wheel. Not enough to leave gouges or break through the chrome, but enough to take the sheen down. Then after cleaning with Naptha to remove fingerprint oils and other dirt, place the bridge in and enclosed container with etching fluid or hydrocholric acid, but don't let the acid or fluids touch the metal. Pour a little in, place something for the plate to rest on above the liquid, and then cover the container. Check the progress often, when you think it could go just a tad more - stop! Too much happens quickly, and you'll find yourself starting over with a new part. Once you remove the part, neutralize the process with a base product, and then wash liberally with water.

If you break through the chrome in the scuffing/buffing process, those areas will rust and be swirled (looking unnatural). If you leave the oils and dirt on, the part will not be consistant, and if you let the part touch the liquid, it can eat all of the chrome away leaving you with a rusting hunk of metal.

What you'll wind up with is a nicely pre-aged part that will be "just right" and natural looking in a few short months of normal use.
    POO DAT!!!

Go to a marina and get boat bottom cleaner. It is usually oxalyic or muratic acid and will put a nice aged look on metal parts. If it is a full service marina, don't buy the quart - just find a mechanic and bring a little jar with you - they'll have barrels of the stuff out back.

Another good one is Coca-Cola. If you knew what was in there you'd never drink it! We used it to clean batterys. It will relic a chrome finish too.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Go to a marina and get boat bottom cleaner. It is usually oxalyic or muratic acid and will put a nice aged look on metal parts.
    Yes, the 'pro relicers' I know all use muriatic acid (pool acid available at any hardware store). What they do with it is fill a metal pan and hang the part over it for a few days and let the fumes do the work. For some reason they believe that process results in a more 'genuine' look. Be careful with the acid though.

I used muriatic acid on mine. It looks great.

You just "fume" it. Don't soak it or brush it on.

Like Gris said, Be careful with the acid... If you use this method be sure to wear rubber gloves and use eye protection, and don't breathe the fumes. Use in well vented area etc. I use the Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid in a process working with gold and just want to be clear on protecting yourself, especially the breathing the fumes part.
    Brad