Thread: ? pickup reads well, has no output sound ?

? pickup reads well, has no output sound ?

Replaced pickups in my strat. OK, I've done this dozens of times.

All three pickups register normally on the multi meter while in the box.

After installation neck and middle and bridge read normal.

But,
    the bridge has no sound. It has a normal reading from the source
    (at the pot and at the switch........ and also reads normal at the end of the 1/4 inch plug. .... -> But the bridge doesn't produce any sound when plugged into the amp.

Why does it register on the meter but has not audible sound?

Re: ? pickup reads well, has no output sound ?

the magnets are probably degaused. i've ran into this before, the coil wire establishes the DC resistance, but the magnets create the output. try moving that pickup to another spot, if the problem follows with it then you know you should remagnetize the pup. you can try finding a place that on model trains or cars, they can probably recharge the magents for you. if they can't, they should know someone who can. make sure though that the north/south polarity is right.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I may have touched the bottom of the bobbin with the hot iron. I don't remember doing this, but I noticed a small burn mark on the bottom of the bobbin. these are used pickups and didn't look closely when I put them in. Could this be the cause of the problem?

I also noticed that one copper wind is on the outside of the tape and stretched a bit. the numbers read hot, but is silent. I changed it to the neck position on the switch and still nothing. The pickup is dead.

These are hot noiseless Fender pickups........

maybe dude, i don't know too much about those pups. try tapping the pole pieces with a screwdriver. you should be able to tell if one "pulls" less than the others. this will tell you if it's a magnet problem or what. i hope you get this figured out man, cause it sounds damn frustrating.

oh well,
    no sound but a good reading. How odd is that?

You might have a bit of solder in the switch that is shorting out the pickup.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Maybe. I wondered about that my self, but why would it still show a strong reading through the 1/4 cable while in the bridge position? I could I try a new switch or look real hard and try to figure out where the solder is........ and then try to remove it. ??

I'd try to eleminate all other components by touching (or connecting) the pickup straight to an instrument cable and testing it. You can do this with another guitar if you have one available by holding the pickup over the strings of the other guitar and strum the strings. If you get an output direct, then it's not the pickup and you can start looking elsewhere (switch, errant solder glob, bad ground). If the pickup is still silent all by itself, it's a dead unit unless you can find out what's wrong, but that'll probably mean partial disassembly.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluespower View Post
    Maybe. I wondered about that my self, but why would it still show a strong reading through the 1/4 cable while in the bridge position? I could I try a new switch or look real hard and try to figure out where the solder is........ and then try to remove it. ??
    I missed that you were reading at the jack. If you get a good reading at the jack, then the pup isn't shorted out. What reading are you getting?

You also might try posting some close-up pics. Someone here might pick up on something being wired wrong.

Could it be your tone pot (or tone cap)?
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

the two odd things about the pickup is that on of the coil winds is pulled outside of the tape and flush with the base, and the (not so deep) iron burn mark on the bottom of the bobbin. It's a Fender Hot Noiseless.

have you checked the magnetism of the pup yet?

I'm not sure what I did to remedy the situation. but, I un-did and re-did the installation process, (de-solder / re-solder) and now it works. (?)
    I have no idea what that was all about, unless the stray sind made contact with the set screw and shorted it out. (???)

ONE mystery ended.

another odd thing.........
    The neck pickup seems thin, and maybe out of phase.

The other two sound strong and fat. what would cause this?

sometimes the ground isn't proper, sounds like that was the case. see my post to the other question in your new thread.

I'm going to redo all ground starting with the out put jack. After all this in and out, I could have twisted one loose.........

I think that ended up to be the issue on the bridge pickup, I resoldered the switch and grounds.

Thanks for the input.