Thread: Should I or am I just Gassin'

Should I or am I just Gassin'

I have a very clean '68 Pro Reverb with Webers and it sounds glorious. I've found a nearly pristine '68 Super Reverb with original alnicos that is available.

Can only have one.

Any advantage in "moving up?"

TT100
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Re: Should I or am I just Gassin'

I've had a nice '66 Vibrolux Reverb since about 1990. Several years ago I was given a '67 Super Reverb that needed some work. I did the work and got it running really well. The SR had a bigger sound, but the VR was more "me", was also less loud and more portable. I have never regretted selling the SR.

Compare the amps and see what works for you.

ProReverb rules.

I don't think this is really a "moving up" situation.

The Pro Reverb is such a great amp. If you're happy with what you have, and it's tried and true, then look no further. You have what many have always wanted.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I agree the SR sounds bigger. It depends on application really. A SR can really bring the heat when you twist the loud knob.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

downgrade IMO.

the Pro Reverb is the true gem of the Fender line with its 2x12 configuration and tube rectifier.

Thanks for the replys. The Pro R is a great amp, just gassing for a '68 SR I don't really need. It's not listed on CL today so someone grabbed a gem.

TT100
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.