Thread: Amp Switch

Amp Switch

Well I said I was working on one and here's a quick pic of the first prototype board...

It works fine off the bench supply but is a bit loss-y with the little 18V switch mode supply I got for it - the diodes and caps near the power rails are only necessary if you're using a battery supply so they've been eliminated... If I twist the bench supply up to 20V it's fine... I'm gonna try it as is with a variety of guitars... if I think it's too weak I'm gonna try throwing a little 2N5457 circuit in front of it tomorrow to see if bumping the input up just a little makes palatable difference... ideally I'd love to throw a tube in front of it but that means a much bigger PS... Hmmm....
    Last edited by yankeerob; 01-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Re: Amp Switch

What is it? A noiseless amp switcher?
    What are the ICs for?

Tommy.

Well - the idea is for it to be a 'loss-less' switchable amp splitter - and as I hate noise it'd have to be noiseless... my contention is - all switching amps are a compromise - our Matthew has bought a Mesa Roadster and to be honest - well you can guess the rest... the idea is that you can combine or switch between 4 different small amps instead... mics and mixer channels are cheap enough these days - I just can't see the point of fighting with a 'multi-channel' amp and am trying to come up with a decent sub-£100 solution - a sub-£70 solution would be even better... there are some pretty pricey ones out there if you have a look around but they're not as simple and therefore - to my mind anyway - effective... oh yeah - the IC's are just unity gain op amps...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Cool, I built something similar out of an old two-button footswitch housing and two DPDT switches that allows me to go A/B/Tuner (mute).

Tommy.

Well the only trouble with a passive switch is impedance mismatching and earth loops - especially if you've more than 2 amps... Lots of guys used to just add an amp - Rory would add a 2204 combo to his AC-30 for lead breaks, Johnny Winter a Marshall 100W to his SVT (in the bad ole days) - I'd like to add the 'Proluxe' to the 5F6A clone or maybe the DR - just having the choice makes things interesting...