Thread: Strat Necks

Strat Necks

I have a MIM Strat. Since buying it, I have developed an affinity for larger frets.

I have been considering putting a Warmoth neck on it, but I am baffled by all the options.

I am torn between a vintage style neck or a custom contour neck.

I realize these things are a matter of preference, but I don't have enough experience choosing necks.

Anyone have any wisdom to share about Warmoth or other replacement necks?

Re: Strat Necks

Anything you get from them is going to be quality! They have many options... too many to list here. The neck you have is a MIM and it's spec's are that its a modified "C" shape with a 9.5" radius. A compound radius neck can be nice for someone wanting the best of both worlds as far as lead and rythym guitar. But again that's a personal preference. I personally like a neck with a uniform radius from nut to neck pickup. The frets on the MIM necks are medium jumbo 6130 Dunlop which are pretty big. You can only get a little bigger in both the height and width of the fret. If you go to say a 6100 Dunlop it'll be like having the entire fretboard scalloped... I'd suggest maybe going one step higher to a 6150. Good Luck

I have a frankencaster Tele with Warmoth neck - 'Clapton' neck contour, compound fretboard radius (10-16) and 6105 stainless steel frets. Here's a link to the Warmoth site for the Clapton neck carve:
    http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...=back_profiles

The neck is a joy to play... the Clapton carve fits nicely into your hand; the compound radius is great for rhythm as well as playing leads; and the stainless steel frets always have that 'just polished feel', I can't say enough good things about the stainless steel frets..great stuff and they show absolutely no wear going on 3 years.

Looking at the pocket-end of the neck, the wood grain looks like a cross between flat and quarter sawn.

Overall a great playing and sounding neck. The neck wood is reasonably stable for a 'Fender-style' neck - I have to adjust/tweak the truss rod every couple of months - tighten one time, loosen other times. I keep my guitars' necks very flat with almost no relief.
    Last edited by toxpert; 12-27-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spllng

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    Anything you get from them is going to be quality! They have many options... too many to list here. The neck you have is a MIM and it's spec's are that its a modified "C" shape with a 9.5" radius. A compound radius neck can be nice for someone wanting the best of both worlds as far as lead and rythym guitar. But again that's a personal preference. I personally like a neck with a uniform radius from nut to neck pickup. The frets on the MIM necks are medium jumbo 6130 Dunlop which are pretty big. You can only get a little bigger in both the height and width of the fret. If you go to say a 6100 Dunlop it'll be like having the entire fretboard scalloped... I'd suggest maybe going one step higher to a 6150. Good Luck

My main guitar is a Fender Telecaster FMT (Set neck, dual HB, Rosewood fretboard). The frets on this thing are giant. Specs say "Jumbo".

In comparison, the frets on my maple neck, MIM Strat seem puny. Is there that much of a difference between Jumbo and Medium Jumbo? Perhaps my MIM is different?

All I know is that I love the action of the giant-fretted Tele, and would like my Strat to have bigger frets.

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    My main guitar is a Fender Telecaster FMT (Set neck, dual HB, Rosewood fretboard). The frets on this thing are giant. Specs say "Jumbo".

In comparison, the frets on my maple neck, MIM Strat seem puny. Is there that much of a difference between Jumbo and Medium Jumbo? Perhaps my MIM is different?

All I know is that I love the action of the giant-fretted Tele, and would like my Strat to have bigger frets.
    Here's a chart that shows a little more comparison between fret width and height from the Warmoth website. As you can see a "medium jumbo" even though fairly large compared to a stock or vintage Stratocaster neck is quite a bit smaller than the "jumbo" frets on your Tele FMT. Hope this helps! As I said I think you'd be best going to the 6150 which is the same width as the 6130 but the height is taller. You'd probably then have the same frets on both.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...ction=fretsize

Quote Originally Posted by dzguitar10 View Post
    Here's a chart that shows a little more comparison between fret width and height from the Warmoth website. As you can see a "medium jumbo" even though fairly large compared to a stock or vintage Stratocaster neck is quite a bit smaller than the "jumbo" frets on your Tele FMT. Hope this helps! As I said I think you'd be best going to the 6150 which is the same width as the 6130 but the height is taller. You'd probably then have the same frets on both.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...ction=fretsize

Cool!

I didn't want a Tele, much less a bastardized Tele, but when I felt those frets...It fit so well. It has become my one and only.