Thread: Mod question for all.......pure specutation welcome

Forum Member

Mod question for all.......pure specutation welcome

Which one of these would affect tone more dramatically?

Replacing the trem block or the saddles.

If replaced the saddles would be stainless steel from GFS. The block would be cold rolled steel made in my machine shop. I am a lefty so I can't use the GFS block. I could buy a lefty block but if the change was great I would build 9 total for all of my strats. I don't want to build a new block only to find the change is negligible.

All opinions welcome.

PeAcE

Re: Mod question for all.......pure specutation welcome

What's the current block made of.

Replacing the zinc(?) block on a old lawsuit Fernandes strat made a pretty big difference in sound.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Current block is zinc.

PeAcE

I would vote that replacing your zinc trem block with a full-size (non-tapered) solid steel trem block like Callaham makes (sounds like your self-machined one would be most similar to this) will make a much bigger impact on the sound than changing the saddles alone.

I replaced the trem block on my 1998 MIM Strat (zinc, tapered) with a Callaham block and noticed a big improvement in tone and sustain.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

St. Leo specified steel for all of the Stratocaster's bridge components -- saddles, plate, block, springs, an' claw.

That's all I ever use.

YMMV, HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member music-n-motorcycle's Avatar

This type of thing always sounds like a good excuse for a new guitar. Mod the old one but buy a new one too.

Okay I know I'm a dreamer.

I would change either then both and see what you come up with. experiment. That is how technology advances.
    4:20, my favorite time of day.

I vote for the block.

Why?

I've tried both.

I've put the GFS saddles on two import bridges, and the replacement block in a third.

The saddles do make a difference, and were enough to satisfy me with one of the guitars, but the block was a huge improvement that I'll likely try again in the future.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Forum Member

I'm leaning heavy on both but currently GFS is sold out of saddles.

PeAcE

That's one reason all my Strat's are R/H though I play southpaw - but as the block constitutes the highest percentage of physical material in the bridge assembly as a whole it's density will make the most difference in sound though I'd add that for a really authentic Strat trem sound extruded saddles make quite a difference - most of which - I think I'm correct in saying - are made of stainless in any case... if I had access to the machinery to mill trem blocks - I'd experiment with different materials... good luck with it and let us know how you got on... welcome aboard
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Forum Member

So far I've built 3 trem blocks. Thanks to Callaham's website I went with 1088 cold rolled steel. I incorporated design elements from both Callaham as well as Fender blocks plus a couple of my own ideas. I went with the ball ends sitting shallow in the slots ala Callaham. I milled the bottom angle of the block ala Fender to allow for greater downward travel. I like my bar to stay put so I cut the arm threads to bottom out. I also bought slightly longer screws to attach the block to the base plate. I felt that the deeper connection would help with vibration transfer.

The results: I couldn't be happier. The increase in sustain is tremendous. The increase in the unamplified volume is noticable. I did one guitar as the guinea pig for the block and another guitar as a guinea pig for the stainless steel saddles. I had a third guitar that I did both.

The saddles do make a difference and the block alone makes a difference. When you do both it is like comparing ice cream and fried chicken. There is no comparison. This is a must mod combo if you are in possession of a strat with a zinc block and cheap saddles. You will be amazed.

PeAcE

Thanks for the update! Whose saddles did you use?

Also let's see some pics of your handy work with those trem blocks!
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

GFS saddles and I'll take a picture of the next block when I finish it. I've installed the others already. I'm building them in my spare time.

PeAcE