Thread: Strat Wiring for Positions 2, 4, and N/B Is it possible?

Forum Member

Strat Wiring for Positions 2, 4, and N/B Is it possible?

Surfing the web I couldn't find any thing that matched my idea. Is there a way to use a 3 way switch to create a Strat with only position 2, position 4 and a neck / bridge combination in the middle setting?

Tone 1 nearest the volume would cover both pups in position 1 of the three way, which would be equivalent to standard strat wiring in position 2. Tone 2 would cover both pups in position 3, which would be equivalent to standard strat wiring in position 4, and the neck / bridge combination would fall in the middle of the three way switch with tone 1 connected to the neck pup and tone 2 connected to the bridge pup.

Any links to wiring I haven't been able to find would be excellent! I'm sure this isn't an original idea. I'm just having a hard time finding a schematic for this wiring variation.

Forum Member

Re: Strat Wiring for Positions 2, 4, and N/B Is it possible?

I think you will need a 5 way for that, but if you go to the stuwart Macdonnel site they have a bunch of pickup info.

I'm not sure that you could find a 3 position blade-type switch that could do that. As steve25 says, Stew Mac makes a 5 position "super switch" that has 4 poles which could give you what you're after (plus 2 more).

I think you might have some luck locating a 3 position rotary or even toggle switch that could do what you want.

I'm not sure I entirely grasp why you'd want what you're describing but... if that floats your boat... good luck!
    Last edited by curtisstetka; 11-25-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

After surfin' all day looking for a diagram I called Seymour Duncan and Scott hooked me up in about 5 minutes. It's doable with a 3 way.

The reasoning behind the mod is that I never use my Strats in any positions other than 2 or 4. I really only play a Strat for the thicker in between tones. It's kinda' strange 'cause I usually only play my Tele in single coil mode, mostly at the neck. That said, I'm not a big fan of the thinner Strat "single coil" by itself sound. Once in a while I will use the neck pup alone, but I have several Strats with regular 5 way switches if I want to go that route.

I have more issues switching between positions 2 and 4 and ending up in positions 1 or 5 or accidentally bumping the switch into 1 or 5 while I'm playing.

I figured I could try it on one Strat and see how I liked it. Definitely no inadvertent switching w/the 3 way and I can add the neck and bridge to the mix.

I realize it's not a popular mod as there were no schematics that addressed it. I found tons of other interesting ideas out there, just not the one I was shooting for.

When the 3 way switches and new Duncan arrive I'll give an update on the results.

Forum Member

It's also doable with the existing five way... search some chuckocaster posts...

Forum Member

I sorta' figured I could do it w/the 5 way. The whole reason for using the 3 way was to do away with the added positions I don't normally use. I.e., no more fumbling and inadvertant swittching.