Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the "holy grail" of Tele pick-ups?

What's the "holy grail" of Tele pick-ups?

Looking for traditional Tele tone.

IMO the Fender Nocaster Clean/Vintage combo.
    Last edited by Guildx700~; 07-30-2002 at 04:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Whatever floats your tone boat.

Seriously, The Nocaster Clean models are nice. Duncan Antiquities are very nice. I'm very partial to the Duncan Alnico II Pros and the Jerry Donahue model. I have never liked the standard Tele neck pickup; but I think that the bridge pickup was among the absolute best pickup design ever. I also like Fender Texas Specials. They're higher output with a good raw tone. They still maintain the twang if you have the right hand technique.

-Butch:nelson
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 08-10-2002 at 02:28 PM.

the stock pups in my tele. i wont swap em for nuthin'

I have to say the 52 RI pups, they are sweet sweet sweet

Forum Member

Vintage all the Way

Suhr Vintage Tele pups. The neck pup is no lightweight; does dynamic clean, jazz, and Strat whoop. Middle blend is sweet fingerstyle poppin.' Bridge - John emulates the Broadcaster bridge pup - is fat and full with bite.

Forum Member

Fralins

I personally love the Linday Fralin Tele pups. I have their Stock Tele Replacements in my newer tele. They sound really good!

You can check them out, here:

http://www.fralinpickups.com/Telestyle.htm

Cheers,

Lee M.

Both of my Tele's have Fralin's in them.

TFF Stage Crew
    My current favs are Duncan Alnico II Pros though I don't consider them the 'holy grail'. Still got Indiana Jones out looking for those. :whip

Forum Member
    Scott Lentz makes really good tele and strat pickups. You probably have to buy a whole guitar to get one unless you're a heavy hitter.

Some of the very best pickups for Teles are the stock 52ri Tele pickups. The Nocaster version of the bridge pickup works good. Fralin Duncan Antiquities and Rolphs are also very good but cost way more.

Try the stock 52ri ones you might not need to go any more expensive than those and still get the tone your after.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 07-30-2002 at 08:43 PM.

Quote: "unless you're a heavy hitter."

I wish!!

I'll second the votes for the Stock '52RI pickups as well as the stock Fralins. I left the original pickups on my '52RI, before I sold it, and dug the bridge pickup especially. It was right on that sharp edge of being microphonic. Nice, nice bite to it.

I had a Warmoth/USACustom tele which had stock Fralins in it. I ended up putting steel compensated saddles on and it sang but in a more "modern" way, if that makes sense. The best description of the Fralins, in relation to stock, I've read is that it's like comparing a chord played on an organ and then hearing the same chord sung by a choir. With the Fralins you hear the individual voices of the strings. Very round, bell-like sound but traditional.

I'd originally had the Fralins on my '67 but then got a good deal on a pair of original '65-'66 Telecaster pickups that had been rewound by Lindy. Now THESE had that traditional sound but with a little bit of Fralin's Magic Dust sprinkled in and hovering over the sound. I don't know what he does but his pickups have a certain identifiable sound.

None of the pickups out there is The Grail. It just depends on the sound you want and finding which set makes that sound. If you got brass saddles try steel as a first step. Cheaper than pickups and it could get you a long way towards what you're looking for.

-s

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by bluesgtr20
    I have to say the 52 RI pups, they are sweet sweet sweet
    Ditto!

Anybody try Bill Lawrence pick-ups in their Tele?

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by Motojunkie
    Anybody try Bill Lawrence pick-ups in their Tele?
    Yeah. I had the Lawrence Black Lable set in a Tele I played for a few years. I like the Dimarzio Twang King and the Duncan Broadcaster pups but my fave is the 52 RI Fender. Texas Specials are cool to. Hell, they all rip!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Guildx700~
    IMO the Fender Nocaster Clean/Vintage combo.
    Hell yes Guildx700!!!I have tried them all and these are the closest in tone to the real deals! Duncan Antiquities and Broadcaster/54's come very close too, but the Fender CS Nocasters NAIL IT!
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Right on Al, right on!!!!!

I'm usually not too passionate about any particular pups, ya rarely will see me posting the "pup of the month" post, but in this case when it comes to Tele, I mean, REAL Tele, razor, rip yer face off...this is it!

Fer some reason the Relic version just does not do it, (I've heard they are wound different?)but the NoCaster Clean, man oh man, when I think Tele this is what I'm hearing in my head!

I've got this pup setup in a franken-tele, it's got a nice solid ash body in cherry burst, front & back binding, 1 piece rock maple neck/fingerboard w/skunk stripe, satin finish, a fossilized mammoth bone nut, & Grover mini-tuners.

Electronics are CTS 250K pots, Switchcraft 4 way switch & jack, .05 cap and .001 bleed cap. Cosmetics are topped off with an original barrel switch tip, Gold hardware w/knurled knobs, a 6 saddle bridge and a black moto pickguard.

Hell, I've got less than $300 into this clone and it'll just rip yer head off with that bridge pup, she clocked in at 10.3k on my meter. (Oddly now I'm seeing em listed for sale at only 7k, wassup with that???)

I showed it to my bro, he laughed at the no-name headstock until I plugged it in and let that NoCaster pup rip....:wail2

His jaw dropped to the ground,:bug

All he could do is look at the guitar and shake his head, (he's usually not too thrilled about my various franken creations, if it don't say Gibson or Fender on the headstock he doesn't even want to see it, LOL!).

Anyone looking for THE Tele sound needs to check this combo out first IMO, chances are you'll look no further.
    Last edited by Guildx700~; 07-31-2002 at 06:04 AM.

Nocaster Cleans are now wound less hot. The are now about 7.4, they used to be about 10.

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Hmmm...well if that's the case I can't comment on the "new" ones, I've not tried those, has anyone here compared the differences?

Forum Member
    WTF!!!! Those 10K flat pole pups ROCK!!!!!!
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Forum Member
    Is Nocaster Clean a new cleaner sounding version of the Relic Nocaster pickup? Or is it just the non-reliced, thus clean, version of the Nocaster pickup?

Originally posted by Unmensch
    Is Nocaster Clean a new cleaner sounding version of the Relic Nocaster pickup? Or is it just the non-reliced, thus clean, version of the Nocaster pickup?
    I'm pretty sure "clean" has always referred to clean (new and shiny) as opposed to reliced (old and dirty).

Here is the story on the Nocaster pickups.

When they started the Nocaster series they had a 51 Nocaster they used for measurments etc. Its pickup was 10k so they wound all the first ones like that hot at 10k the bridge pickup.

When a few of these got out to the public people compared them to real early Teles and found most of their early tele bridge pickups were 7.0-7.5k some even measured 5.83-6.0.

So the folks at Fender realized the guitar they used for their specs was an odd ball as compared to the majority of old Teles so they re-worked the specs on the Nocaster pickups down to around 7.4-7.5k.

They made 2 different versions a Relic or Clean version only difference being looks the clean looks new relic is aged. Alot of people didnt buy the clean version so thats why there are alot of the 10k wound clean ones around.

So be sure you have the ohms checked on a Nocaster bridge pickup if you want the 10k hot ones order the Nocasster clean and have them check the ohms till they find a 10k one.

I'm not so sure Fender made the right move there, everyone I know that's tried the 10k Clean one loves it...I've not heard any feedback from users on the newer 7.5k ones, but it seems the me the Relic was always 7.5k and most folks I talked to prefered the 10k Clean to the 7.5k Relic, so....:tw59

Forum Member
    Thanks for the clarification on the Clean thing. Just to throw another wrinkle into the mix, I understand the Cunetto (pre-Time Macine) Relic Nocasters had Texas Tele bridge PUs.

About those 10K bridge PUPs, on the early Broadcasters & Nocasters Leo used thinner #43 wire(more resistance per foot) but later switched to #42(~7k). When CBS took over the PUPs almost became Strat PUPs with readings as low as 6K!

Like the oldies, Texas Tele PUPs and some of the variations the CS uses have #43 wire and readings ~9-10K. Other PUPs have #42 and readings around 7K. The 10K PUPs are warmer, but not as hot as it would seem just by looking at the resistance. The newer Nocaster PUPs also have A-III magnets, Texas Teles and the flat pole versions have A-Vs.

My favorite traditional bridge PUP is the Duncan Jerry Donahue I have in a CS Donahue Tele. It has slightly attentuated highs and warmer mids and IMO that works really well for with BF/SF amps. The Donahue Tele is also pretty bright and resonant to begin with.

Okay, so what would you guys recommend then? I had been told that the Nocaster bridge combined with an American Vintage neck pup would get me what I'm looking for. What I want to do is mod my Tele into a more "Blues friendly" tone. It's a Classic '50s RI MIM. The switching is a three way, bridge/both/neck postitions. It has good wood (ash with a maple neck/board), and I don't see any need to jump to the AVRI '52, but I would like to get some ideas on what you think about whether I should try to get the old 10k or the new 7.5k bridge pup. Also, although the American Vintage neck pup has been suggested, if anyone has any other thoughts on this, I'ld like to hear them. Keep in mind this is going to be used for a lot of blues.

JMO but for blues one of the flat pole Texas Teles a.k.a. the older Relic PUP(10K, #43 wire, A-V magnets) would work better for overdriving an amp and getting some distortion. Some of the more traditional Tele PUPs don't distort as nicely as the warmer ones, especially with brighter BF/SF amps. If you feel the need for tweed then a more traditional PUP might be OK. Other good choices would be the Duncan Broadcaster or slightly overwound Fralins - I think he calls them Blues Specials.

Thanks Teleologist. I had completely forgotten about those Texas Tele pups. This will be used with a BF Deluxe Reverb, so that would very likely be a better choice than the AV Tele. Much obliged.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these yet...

Harmonic Design S 90 for the bridge and Vintage Plus neck. The S 90 is a tele sized take on a P90. Lot's of snap and growl. Think of it as a classic tele bridge tone X10. The4 neck is loud enough to keep up with the bridge, and is extremely sweet.

I yanked the original pups out of my 52 RI, tried a set of Fralins, a set of Kinman Broadcasters, and settled on these.

Forum Member

What Shemp said

I have the same setup in my Hamer T-51. I haven't tried many different sets, but I just love the way this guitar sounds. The neck pickup is covered in plastic, so it can match Black, White, Tort., or Perloid guards. For what that's worth.

I replaced the stock pickups in my 52ri for a set of 50's Voodoos and my guitar came alive...it's not that I disliked the stock pickups as they are nice, but I wanted more than nice...now I have it.

The only problem is now...I got a lot of people who want to buy my guitar.

Chow,
    Seegs

Forum Member
    The stock pickups in my '52 RI are just about perfect, except that they're not RWRP, so they tend to be noisy.

In my American Standard, I put in a set of Van Zandt True Vintage last year. Outstanding! Best Tele pickups I've used.
    Just scratchin' some blues on this ol' guitar.

Forum Member
    Regarding the Lentz tele pickups:

I agree that they are great pickups: Flat pole bridge with plenty of output, and a neck that sounds as fat as a mini-humbucker. They are wound for Lentz by Aero, to Scott's specs. So, you could buy tele pickups from the maker, Aero. They probably would not be exactly the same as the Lentz, but I would bet they are quite good.

Another vote for Lentz pickups...

I'll chime in here and cast another vote for Scott Lentz' pickups... they do the "vintage" Tele thing better than any I've played...

For some vintage Tele *plus*, with a little "something extra," I'd probably go with a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus in the neck and a Super 90 in the bridge... a killer combination, IMO...
    Regards, Dave Orban

Forum Member
    "Holy Grail" pickups?

I'm thinking microphonic Broadcaster/Nocaster pickups from the early '50s, that were wound a little hotter.

Forum Member

Picky

I have two part-o-teles.The one with the singles has a Duncun alnico II in the neck and a Jerry Donahue in the bridge,its a hollow swampash bodied guitar,with a maple neck and no f-hole.I think the Alnico II is one of the best sounding Tele Pups there is.My other one has 2 Humbuckers..Seth lover neck,and a Custom Custom bridge,also in a hallow swampash ,maple necked guitar..I dont know how original the Tele tone of the Seth is but its my main rig and I love the way it sounds..

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Shemp
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned these yet...

Harmonic Design S 90 for the bridge and Vintage Plus neck. The S 90 is a tele sized take on a P90. Lot's of snap and growl. Think of it as a classic tele bridge tone X10. The4 neck is loud enough to keep up with the bridge, and is extremely sweet.

I yanked the original pups out of my 52 RI, tried a set of Fralins, a set of Kinman Broadcasters, and settled on these.
    Shemp is DA MAN! I have these in my own '52 RI. I went through a bunch of PUPs before settling on these. They are superb. What I like best about 'em is their power, balance, and distinct lack of icepickiness.

I see alot of folks here like the stock '52 RI PUPs. I can understand why, but to me, those do have too icepick on the top end.

Forum Member

KINMAN KINMAN KINMAN!!!

Y'all are missin the boat if you ain't checked out the Kinmans.

These are the most incredibly brilliant, beautiful, most bodacious pickups I have ever laid ears on.

KINMAN !

www.kinman.com

Plus they are entirely noise-free!

-M@