Thread: 5 string P-bass questions.

Forum Member

5 string P-bass questions.

Anybody own one of these models? I'm thinking about checking one of these models out and would like to hear from those in the know.

Although I now just play at home I use to be a full time bass player many years ago. I've been learning guitar since '96 and find I'd like to re-connect with my bass playing roots. I've still got my '73 Jazz Bass which I've been playing lately, but I've never owned a P-bass and have been thinking about expanding my horizons on a 5 string bass.

Any info would be greatley appreciated.

Re: 5 string P-bass questions.

When I decided to get a Fender bass, I bought a Jazz Bass "Special" back in 1987 (my God, its 20 years old now!).

This bass has the Jazz neck, but has both Precision and Jazz bass pickups. I can get pretty much the entire range of Precision tones out of it and most of the Jazz tones.

Not sure if Fender still makes a model like this, but they probably do. Then again, mine is a 4 string so Fender may not offer it in a 5 string. If not, one of the clone makers probably makes one. I've seen the "P-J" configuration on a number of basses over the years.

Although I like the Fender, my 5 string is a Carvin. I play that bass more than any other - it has a great range of tones and active electronics. I like it so much, I just ordered another one. Professional quality instruments at about 1/3 what you would pay in a music store..........

Forum Member

A Carvin 5 string, eh? Thanks for the heads up. What specific model do you have? Any way you could compare the neck on your Carvin to something I might find in a music store, just to get somewhat of an idea of how it plays?

Thanks again.

Try one, you'll like it! Had a few through my hands in the store I used to work in, and they were really nice.
    Fender Precision, 51RI, 1996, blond
    Fender Precision, Standard, 2004, black
    Squier VM Precision TB, 2007, 3TS
    Markbass CMD121H combo and 1x12 cab

Forum Member

I have big hands and find the neck of a jazz bass too tight up in the first postion, so back in 78 when I was shopping for a Fender bass I got a P bass, so be sure whatever 5 string bass you choose is good for your hand size.
    Also some tunes like Stanly clark stuff is impossible to play on a five string as their is no way when playing a couple of his songs to stop that low B string from riinng! and yes, I have though about stuffing some foam under it!
    I also have a Carvin LB75 with the big near flat asymetrical neck and my hands love it.