Thread: 69 Strat guard needed

69 Strat guard needed

Hi guys, I'm helping a friend with his strat. He needs to import a replacement guard for his 69 strat. Would Ebay be the best bet? It only needs to be a repro guard. I just need to be perfectly sure I order the right guard, as the screw holes differ to the hole positions on an extra pick guard I have.
    Thanks guys
    There's a red house over yonder........

Re: 69 Strat guard needed

A 69 guard would age more yellow no green guard BTW. A standard Fender parchment guard should be pretty close. Put it in the sun for a while to turn it yellower. I've aged a set of pickup covers and knobs from bright white to off yellow- took a year in the sun though :). The screw holes would be evenly spaced on the upper bout pretty much.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I believe Curt is correct -- the "American Standard" pickguard should have the mounting hole configuration you need. However, you'll hafta modify the holes for the pickup and switch screws as the '69 vintage instruments used oval-head counter-sunk fasteners.

By '69 the pickguards were white plastic so the "parchment" color is prolly the closest you'll git to an authentic piece. It's possible to cosmetically age a white pickguard -- you can find info on that with a bit of internet surfing. One guy I know uses Grey Poupon mustard (it actually works pretty well!).

Best of luck, HTH
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."