Thread: New allparts neck installation advice

Forum Member

New allparts neck installation advice

Hey all: so my new AP neck arrived - rosewood fgrbrd, 22 frets, graphite nut, kluson tuners - and I slapped it on immediately. I had to raise the height on the 39 year old bent metal saddles (WD-40 and elbow grease) and 5 of 6 strings play wonderfully.

PROBLEM 1
    The High E has an extreme buzz on the open E, but otherwise plays fine on all frets. I am thinking of shimming the neck and bringing the string heights down this evening to see if that helps. But maybe I need a fret dressing?

PROBLEM 2
    This was a problem on my original neck, but is much more pronounced on the new one: there is very little fret under the high E string especially from the 8th fret upwards. Is it advisable to try to move the neck position downwards -laterally - with an oddly placed shim (e.g. further away from top horn towards the bottom cut away) and then re-tighten the bolts?? (there is a little fret room to spare under the low E string). I supose a new nut could be cut (or the existing one shifted) but the problem appears to be the saddle not lining up (I am not keen at all on replacing the bridge and its components).

BTW, it might just be me, but i love the smell of the new nitro coating.

thx Bruce

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: New allparts neck installation advice

First, you have to determine where the problem is. Capo on the first fret, hold the string down up the neck. Can you get the string to ring. Check against the others. If you guitar needed a fret dressing it likely would buzz on G and B. Maybe the neck pocket or heel is tilted, in which case a shim or shave is in order.

Problem 1 Could also be a nut problem. Do you have a string tree on the guitar?

Problem 2-
    Loosen the neck slightly and push the headstock gently towards the high E. Retighten the screws when the high E sits where you like it.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Problem 1 Could also be a nut problem.
    My first thought, too. A newly cut nut might also help to address prob.#2 by slightly adjusting the string spacing.

Also, keep in mind that with colder weather, your neck might tend to get stiffer. You might need a little relief. Turn your truss rod 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and see if that helps.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    First, you have to determine where the problem is. Capo on the first fret, hold the string down up the neck. Can you get the string to ring. Check against the others. If you guitar needed a fret dressing it likely would buzz on G and B. Maybe the neck pocket or heel is tilted, in which case a shim or shave is in order.
    Thx; took a while, but was eventually able to locate my capo. All strings ring nicely, with very minor buzzing that i can live with on the D and low E strings. I tried the shim and this did may have reduced the buzzing on the high E somewhat, but it still buzzes at a level that is not playable (and the saddle is real high!).

My working theory is that the groove for the high E on the nut is cut to deeply. What do you think? Or maybe the part of the 1st fret under the High E needs to be filed down?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Problem 1 Could also be a nut problem. Do you have a string tree on the guitar?

Problem 2-
    Loosen the neck slightly and push the headstock gently towards the high E. Retighten the screws when the high E sits where you like it.
    hey thanks - that worked; probelm 2 solved! I am starting to beleive it is a nut problem as well for PR1; maybe high E string is cut too deep.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmacgoody View Post
    hey thanks - that worked; probelm 2 solved! I am starting to beleive it is a nut problem as well for PR1; maybe high E string is cut too deep.
    Apparently u can build it up with superglue mixed with backing soda, and cut it again.
    There's a red house over yonder........