Thread: Neck bolts and "fifth" hole

Forum Member

Neck bolts and "fifth" hole

Hi all, new to this forum. Have been a Les Paul guy (and still am), but just bought a Fender strat fully loaded body and neck to put together. Both are 2008 USA deluxe parts. The guitar is sweet. I can't wait to play it.

I have two quesitons:

1. how tight do you tighten the neck bolts (I don't want to strip the neck)?

2. I have the "fifth" hole in the neck plate and body (the neck and body have circular metal plates mounted to). What are these? Does this take the place of shimming for correct neck angle in setup?

Thanks!

Re: Neck bolts and "fifth" hole

to the forum! Justs snug enough so the neck will not move in the pocket. Thats the microtilt ajustment hole you are right it replaces the need for shimming. We do need some pics when you have it assembled..

as long as your body is set up for the microtilt. i take them out of my personal guitars, and reccomend it to people i work for. i'd rather use a shim. the micro tilt has a tendency to loosen up and then rattle. YMMV.

best of luck on the build.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Thanks!
    Yeah, the body is set up for it. I will post pics soon. It is a tri-color burst with a rosewood neck.