Thread: results of modded metal zone.

results of modded metal zone.

i know i hear a couple chuckles in the background, i kind laughed myself. after my buddy gary giving me that small stone i was looking through my book on modifying pedals. brian wampler from indyguitarist wrote it. since i'm going to be doing some work on that small stone i figured i might find another one to work on, that way if i had to order parts i could combine them all in one order.

so long story short while flipping through the book i crossed the MT-2 page, and then remembered i had one sitting in one of my drawers. another friend of mine a few years back gave it to me and said "have, see if you can make it work, i know you work on this kind of stuff." so i pulled it out and plugged it in, no sound when engaged. i opened it up and inspected the board. all the solder joints looked fine, no cold ones to be found, and then i saw it... someone had worked on it previously. so i inspected those, and lo and behold there were a couple that had some solder residue between the traces, basically connecting them unintentionally. so i pulled out a guitar pick and carefully scraped them away. plugged it back in and viola! it worked!

once that was established i got to moddin. i didn't complete all the mods, i was missing 2 caps, but everything else i had on hand.

sooooooo:

i took her to youth group tonight cause i've been looking for a decent fuzz/grind pedal for my bass rig. and this thing really got it, and it didn't really cost me anything. i don't really know how it would sound on bass in stock form, but it sounded AWESOME the way it is now. totally happy with the results. the mod was basically removing a couple of caps, replacing a couple others, and switching one diode to an led, and another diode to a different diode.

it has a nice fuzz tone, and the three band EQ helps dial in a nice tone. i liked that i could get the fuzz tone close to what my clean tone was, but cut and accentuate the frequencies i needed to so it sounded coherent, not too dissimilar to be drastic sounding. i wouldn't say this has a real "woody" tone or that it lets the instrument "breathe". HELL NO! but it doesn't sound artificial in the way some fuzzes sound on bass. that is a great tone (the beatles "the word" comes to mind) but it's not what i'm going for.

all in all the jazzbass with this puppy into the model T thru the 6x10 with a pick was killer. really digging it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: results of modded metal zone.

I saw someone playing great non-metal blues using a MT-2.

What pedal modding book do you have?

Interesting. I did some mods on an HM-2.

After that, I decided I didn't like distortion boxes with active EQ for guitar.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

no idea how it sounds on the guitsteel, i don't think i'd like it though.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"