Thread: Possible 68 Super Reverb purchase

Forum Member

Possible 68 Super Reverb purchase

Hey everyone, I just got a tip from a friend about a guy selling his 68 SR so I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. He claims it has the black face circuit but I'm gonna confirm that for my self. I've been researching what to look for to see if it is BF and read about the black lines on the face and the caps running from one of the tube sockets. Does this sound right? Anything else I should check for? I'm not sure if the guy is cool with me taking the chassis out or not. I'm gonna take my camera with so I can get lots of pics and post them here. I'll get the schematic page on the side of the amp and the serial number. He is asking $800 for the amp. Hows that for a beginning price? He says the amp has 3 original speakers and one replacement, so I'll get some pictures of them as well. Thanks for the help.

Matt

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Possible 68 Super Reverb purchase

Amps with the SF/drip-edge cosmetics actually started shipping in the summer of 1967 (I bought new SR in August of that year with those details). The SF you mentioned should be an AB763 circuit if it was made prior to early autumn of 1968, with the black lines on the front panel. In the fall the notorious AC568 configuration was introduced. These later variants still had the drip-edge but the black lines were deleted. Some drip-edge AC568s were sold into early 1969, when the drip-edge was also discontinued.

HTH

phantom, why is the AC568 notorious?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

They screwed around with the biasing circuit an' added a buncha coupling caps that sapped some tone.

Phantom, thanks. As you know, I just got a 72 SFSR and I love the sound of it. It is not as warm as the BF, but that's ok with me. I like it better than the BF to which I compared it. Would the changes you describe account for that?

On the "Fender Amp Heaven Schematics" page, it lists several variations of the SR before the addition of a master volume. They are:

AA763
    AB763
    AB568
    AA1069
    AA270

Any comments on these?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

The 1069 circuit allegedly reversed some of the 568 changes. I had an AA270 Twin Reverb that sounded like an absolute slug! Dumped it for an AA165 Bassman with a tone-ring Showman cab.

Forum Member

I just brought the amp home to try out. The owner is letting me borrow it for the night. I checked its serial number (A 41335) and it appears the amp is actually a 1969 not a 68. Is there any chance of the amp still being a AB763 circuit? Is it worth taking the chassis out? Also there are no black lines on the face but it does say AB763 on the sheet inside the cabinet. I can post pictures if that helps. Thanks.

Matt

If the amp is a '69 there's little chance it has the earlier BF circuit. The circuit changed mid '68. The tube chart is very unreliable as they used them up until they ran out.

Still would be a great amp and I wouldn't pass one up if I could get a deal on one!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrplyr View Post
    If the amp is a '69 there's little chance it has the earlier BF circuit. The circuit changed mid '68. The tube chart is very unreliable as they used them up until they ran out.
    Correct......Leo was as notoriously frugal as a Missouri pig farmer (he used ever'thang 'cept for the squeal). He nevah threw nothin' out, even when a part -- or a circuit -- had been superceded on the production line.

If'n the amp sounds good, looks good, an' is priced reasonably I would jump on it quicker'n white on rice.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......

Forum Member

Thanks for the responses guys. The amp does sound great even with the really old tubes in it. The owner wants $800 for the amp. But when I inform him that it is not a black face circuit like he thinks he will probably be willing to lower the price. What's a good price for the amp? I'm also including some pictures of the speakers which I believe are CTS but I was hoping you guys could confirm that for me. Thanks.

Matt

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7...kercodexs4.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7677/srspeakersmy8.jpg

$800 is a fair price. A blackline model would probably go more around the $1000 range.

Even at $800 you'd be getting a good deal I feel but heck if you can get it any lower it would be easier on your pocket book. I haven't check the prices on these lately so you may want to checked completed auctions on EBay to see what they've been going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrplyr View Post
    $800 is a fair price. A blackline model would probably go more around the $1000 range.
    +1

JUMP!!!

I've still got that '67 Super Reverb that needs maintanence (discussed in a previous thread) in my basement.

The owner hasn't decided if he wants to sell it to me cheap or take it home the way it is.

Forum Member

Hey, I talked the guy down to $600, so I think I'm gonna buy it. Here are a bunch of pictures. I noticed several connections that looked newer and one that appears to be disconnected. I don't know if these have anything to do with the upgrade to a three prong cord or what. Hopefully these pictures are good enough to see whats going on in there.

Jump all over it!

Most of what is there is original. At least the critical parts.
    I can't see the area near the three prong well enough, but this looks ok as far as I can tell. You have (possibly) some ceramics on the power tube sockets that may not be original, but that's fine. It looks like the original resistors and tone caps are all intact.

My opinion...is the same as Phantomman's here. GO!!!

Yessireebob! Go for it! Those white electrolytics are likely original and need to be changed (probably the main filter caps, too), but it's not a difficult or expensive fix.

Sweet deal!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Amp is a '69.

Strike while the iron's hot!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."