Thread: BYOC Triboost - opinions?

Forum Member

BYOC Triboost - opinions?

Has anyone tried the Build Your Own Clone Triboost? Is it any good? How does it compare to other clean boosts?

Apparently it's got a germanium boost based on a Rangemaster (but with a switch to adjust the frequencies it boosts), a silicon boost based on an EH LPB, and a MosFET boost (based on I don't know what). Seems interesting. Having never used a clean boost, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to start with one that has several different sounds to choose from.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: BYOC Triboost - opinions?

I'd leave out the silicon LPB and do a Duo-Boost. Me no likey those silicon LPBs.

Forum Member

I thought the LPB was kind of a strange pedal to clone. But I guess if I didn't like it, I could just never switch to it.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I have built the tri-boost. The germanium boost wins, hands down. I have a Nano LPB 1 that gets more use. The third option is a clean boost a la the MXR Micro Amp, I believe. I never use it like that.

IMO, the pedal is very useful, but you might as well find a kit and build a simpler germanium-only boost. The one add that I do use on the pedal is the switch to adjust the boost frequency...I think it switches between treble and full range boost.

Anyhoo...it's well worth the time and effort.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

+1 on the germanium AND the toggle between caps for full-range vs. treble boost. IMHO all else equal the original germanium treble boost usually sounds better with humbuckers and the fatter boost with single coils...

edit - oh yeah, i have an extra NOS OC44 if you need one... :-)